Rare opportunity to acquire a 406 acre arable farm with business development potential just 20mins from York City Centre.
Also available in separate lots.
Principal house: entrance, drawing room, kitchen breakfast room, pantry, utility room, snug, sitting room, family room with back staircase, downstairs shower room, rear hall and staircase. 6 bedrooms, family bathroom, shower room, office. stores, gardener’s wc.
Over an acre of formal gardens including a walled garden, 19th century ha-ha, illuminated fish pond, summerhouse, tree arbour, 2 greenhouses, further acre of wildflower meadow
Renovated barn with fitted kitchen, with external entertainment area including 18th century wheelhouse and Bygones shed seating up to 100 people, brick built garden shed.
Away from the main house on Tockwith Road two tenanted semi-detached cottages and a period holiday cottage provide an additional income stream.
A range of general purpose agricultural buildings including grain drier, conveyor system and grain storage facilities for over 1000 tonnes.
In all some 406 acres, grade 2/3 productive land
The property is offered freehold and with vacant possession on completion
Marston Grange is a privately owned 406 acre arable farm located on the battlefield of Marston Moor with far-reaching views to the White Horse of Sutton Bank. This indisputably unique and versatile property has many valuable components and offers multiple possibilities for generating income. The principal house lies deep within its own land, there are three cottages some quarter of a mile distant, a renovated Education Barn, additional buildings with planning potential, two acres of gardens cultivated to NGS level and including an acre of wildflower meadow - all within an idyllic setting right on the site of the most famous battle of the English Civil War – the Battle of Marston Moor, 2nd July 1644. The farm itself is well managed and profitable with exceptionally well maintained buildings and yard.
• Farm has remained within the family since 1942
• Ring-fenced farm in superb, rural setting
• Principal house and 3 cottages amounting to 6354 sq ft
• A stone built wall on the site may date from the 12th century when Marston Grange was once owned by the Cistercian monks of Fountains Abbey
• View the Marston Grange website on www.marstongrange.co.uk
Beautifully renovated, packed with character, and enjoying glorious views over the gardens and land beyond, this large and handsome house has been long cherished. The oldest part dates from 1778 with extensions added in 1860 and 1895. Much of the original property remains intact and evidence of a bygone era abounds in the architectural detail and layout; there is a cast-iron kitchen cooking range that could easily be brought back to life, working fires, Victorian clay floor tiles, the original fenestration and a utility room that reveals its previous incarnation as a buttery.
• Principal house of 3600 sq ft, facing south
• 6 bedrooms, 4 reception rooms, 3 bathrooms
• Long drive, private setting
• Expansive views across rural countryside and the battlefield of Marston Moor towards the White Horse of Sutton Bank,
The breathtakingly beautiful gardens that wrap around the south, east and north elevations of the house have been created by the present owners who are keen gardeners. Designed to blend into the surrounding arable landscape, the gardens have been planted with many native and wild flower species to provide a natural habitat. Mature trees, coppiced fruit trees and established shrubs form the basic structure of the gardens, with complementary perennial plantings, annuals and spring bulbs added for year round colour and shape.
There are seven principle areas of interest in the garden:
• The fish pond and miniature topiary garden lie at the front of the house. Dominated by a shelter belt of Leylandii this garden is softened with formal herb and topiary plantings, white tulips in spring, a Tulip tree and grassy lush plantings around the pond
• The Ha-Ha Garden - dry and sunny – is planted with lavender, herbs, alliums and tulips in formal layouts which blend into softer plantings of traditional cottage garden perennials including phlox and roses.
• The Walled Garden at the back of the house is planted with trees, shrubs and perennials for year round interest and structure and colour is added with seasonal annuals, bulbs and more roses.
• The Summerhouse Garden is planted with trees and shrubs in wandering island beds.
• The Orchard is the kitchen garden, cottage garden and cutting garden. Alongside the established fruit trees are climbing roses and a white beam arbour which creates a focal point from which to view the moor.
• An acre of perennial wildflower meadow containing over 21 species with meandering tracks cut through in the summer leads you back to the Barn and Fold Yard Garden.
• The Fold Yard garden is an experiment in planting on concrete with a 12ft wooden trough as a central feature. This is a garden still in development.
Renovated barn and potential wedding venue
The ‘Education Barn’ is used for events, activities and social gatherings. Fully renovated, it has a fitted kitchen and seats 32 people, with potential to extend. There is ample free parking at the rear of the barn or in the front yard. Alongside is the old roundhouse - where the horse used to work the wheels to separate the wheat from the chaff – which, along with the adjoining open roofs, can be used for group activities such as hog roasts and barbeques. Together with the barn, it provides a characterful all-weather entertainment space seating up to 100 people.
On Tockwith Road, there is a pair of semi-detached cottages (1 and 2) constructed in the 1960s (one currently let) and a neighbouring period cottage (3) currently run as a successful holiday let.
Cottage 1: entrance hall, 2 reception rooms, one with traditional range fireplace, the other with modern open fire, fitted kitchen, 3 bedrooms, family bathroom, garden, stores and off road parking for up to 3 cars
Cottage 2: entrance hall, 2 reception rooms, one with traditional range fireplace, the other with modern open fire, fitted kitchen, 3 bedrooms, family bathroom, garden, stores and off road parking for up to 3 cars
Cottage 3: kitchen dining room, sitting room, downstairs bathroom, 2 bedrooms, garden, stores and off road parking for up to 3 cars
Farm and land
Marston Grange is a 406 acre (163 Hectare) arable farm which has been owned and run by the Smakman family as R Smakman Ltd since 1942. Crops grown include wheat, barley, oats, oil seed rape and beans. Potatoes and maize are grown on land rented out to other local farmers.
The farmstead has a considerable number of buildings, ranging from traditional brick built structures dating as far back as 1769, to larger buildings of modern construction, more conducive to today’s farming practices. The farm yard is located to the west of the main house and consisits of a Threshing barn which houses the internal grain bins, a Waggoners shed, which houses the Alvin Blanche grain drier, 19th century workers’ cottages, horse stables and the old dairy shed, which have been re-used for storage areas and garages to give them a modern use. These buildings may offer an opportunity for conversion to residential or commercial use, subject to planning permissions.
The modern concrete floor general purpose sheds provide storage with a further open earth floored fertiliser storage area. The total buildings amount to over 2380 sq m.
In all 406 acres. Soil type varies from Escrick 2 deep and well drained coarse and fine sandy loam with slowly permeable subsoils to the south of the house to Foggathorpe 2, a slowly permeable stoneless clayey and fine loam over clayey soil to the north of the house. This land has been substantially drained to bring it into cultivation.
320 acres are farmed in hand and put down to combinable crops on a 3 or 5 year rotation. A further 15 acres are rented out for potatoes and 20 acres are rented out for maize. All management and cultivation of land is completed in-house. A further 24 acres are put down to grass and cut for haylage and 3 acres of pollen and nectar mix form part of the annual ‘greening’ requirement.
Tracks provide access to all areas of the farm. The land sits within an NVZ area. All LERAPS and margins are managed within cross compliance standards along the dike and across the farm.
There are several traditional farm buildings at Marston Grange that may offer an opportunity for conversion to an alternative use, subject to gaining the necessary planning consents.
Planning permission, etc
No current planning permissions are in progress.
Basic Payment Scheme and Environmental Scheme
The farm is registered for the Basic Payment Scheme. The entitlements are included in the sale. The vendor will use their reasonable endeavors to transfer the BPS entitlements to the purchaser on completion and the purchaser will be deemed to have full knowledge of the existing scheme and be expected to take on the scheme and comply with the current conditions. The vendor will retain the money received from the 2017 claim. Entry Level Stewardship expired Feb 2016 and the owners have not joined the new Countryside Stewardship Scheme but there is potential to join this scheme at the Higher Level.
Easement, Rights of Way & Wayleaves
No public rights of way. Ainsty Internal Drainage have access to the farm in order to manage the dyke.
Sporting, Timber & Mineral Rights
Rights remain with the property.
See site plan. A parish boundary runs along the western boundary of the farm.
Long Marston 2 miles, Tockwith 1.5 miles, Harrogate 14 miles, York 9 miles, Wetherby 7 miles, Leeds 24 miles. (Distances approximate)
Marston Grange enjoys a superb, rural setting close to two thriving villages with many amenities and with easy access to York, Harrogate, Wetherby and Leeds and the A1. Open, unspoilt views surround the principal house and farm buildings. There are local rail connections at Kirk Hammerton and Cattal as well as the East Coast main line in York.
Services: There is mains electricity supply to the houses, Education Barn and the older agricultural buildings. The properties are connected to a mains water supply but drainage is to a private system. Oil fired central heating in the main house. The cottages are on electric central heating. The barnis heated by electric convector heaters.
Fixtures & fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, fridges, light fittings, garden ornaments, holiday let furnishings etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local authority: Harrogate Borough Council 01423 500 600
Directions: Marston Grange is located just off the B1244 road between Harrogate and York. From York follow the B1244 towards Wetherby and at Long Marston turn right towards Tockwith. Marston Grange is approximately one mile on the right.
Photographs and particulars: dated June 2017
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.
Blenkin & Co, the straight-talking agent