Patrick Brompton Hall, Bedale
Guide Price £4,500,000
10 bedroom detached house
Remarkable Queen Anne country house estate near Bedale in the foothills of the Yorkshire Dales.
Patrick Brompton Hall dates from the early seventeenth century and stands in ten acres of well-established garden and grounds on the edge of a North Yorkshire village. It is a particularly appealing country house, grand and gracious but built on a relatively modest scale. Its principal reception rooms and bedrooms face south across sweeping lawns and parkland providing a timeless, pastoral view that is one of the chief delights of this historic property’s setting. Alongside is a detached Georgian stable block that has in recent years been part converted into four stylish cottage apartments to accompany the four stables. Patrick Brompton Hall has been in the hands of the Ropner family since 1958 and was formerly the home of jockey Billy Nevett who won the Derby in 1945.
Entrance hall, staircase hall, 4 reception rooms, kitchen breakfast room, larder, pantry, utility room, cloakroom/laundry room with separate WC, cellar, pool room with separate WC, swimming pool
7 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms on the first floor, 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms on the second floor, attic room
Barn garaging, pavilion, 4 cottage apartments, 4 stables, stores, outbuildings
Formal gardens, parkland and well-wooded grounds, walled garden, greenhouse
In all some 10 acres
An additional 57 acres are available by separate negotiation
- Queen Anne country house, Grade II* listed
- Substantial house totalling over 11,000 sq ft
- Versatile accommodation arranged over three floors
- South facing orientation over a parkland setting
- 10 acres with more available by separate negotiation
- Glorious walled garden, tennis court and swimming pool
- Income from four holiday cottage apartments
- Renewable energy biomass system
- Outbuildings with planning permission
- Convenient for Bedale, Thirsk, Northallerton and A1(M)
The main house dates circa 1703 with the east and west wings added some two hundred years later. For generations, Patrick Brompton Hall – also known as Dalesend - has been a family home and has been sympathetically updated and maintained in the hands of the Ropner family including the conversion of the adjacent greenhouse into a charming pool. The stables were converted into holiday apartments in 2014.
The Hall has many characterful, period features including a third-century Roman tombstone acquired in 1958, ornate plasterwork, working shutters, wood panelling, original floorboards, a walnut staircase with shallow treads, cast iron radiators, timber sash windows, panelled doors and many fireplaces including one from Clumber Park, the ancestral home to the Dukes of Newcastle. The elegant, vaulted ceiling in the hall was added some 75 years ago by the incumbent’s father designed by the notable architect Francis Johnson. There are four, beautifully proportioned reception rooms with south-facing views and a full-height curved bay in the drawing room that opens to the lower terrace where stone steps rise to the upper pool terrace. The swimming pool with pool room is powered by green energy. A traditional kitchen breakfast room has a two-oven LPG AGA along with an adjacent larder, pantry and utility room giving access to the garaging.
On the first floor, the two substantial bedroom suites enjoy the advantage of parkland views whilst the lion’s share of the bedroom accommodation extends northwards and includes a nursery wing with a sitting room. The loft room is a massive space of some 45 ft x 37 ft. It is fully boarded with a window, power and light and offers great scope to be developed into a games room or annexe.
The whole property is shielded by woodland and bands of trees with the village road skirting the boundary. Brompton Beck winds its way on the eastern edge, home to brown trout. The formal gardens sit in front of the house along with the sheltered sun terrace which enjoys an open aspect, and a ha-ha divides the lawns from the parkland. The parkland pastures have a scattered collection of well-established, broadleaved trees such as oak, horse chestnut, sycamore and lime.
A gravel drive sweeps past the stone pavilion to the front entrance of the house and beyond to the majestic wrought iron gates between fine stone pillars that separate the Hall from the stable block. At the eastern end of the village a further drive winds its way, crossing an arched stone bridge over the beck, passing a pond and arriving at the turning circle and parking area alongside the outbuildings. Here lies the main entrance to the house. Alongside is the tradesmen’s entrance giving easy access to the bio-mass boiler and store.
The all-weather tennis court with a hut and walled garden enjoys a tranquil setting on the western corner of the property alongside the orchard. The walled garden with its oak tree encircled by formal clipped hedging is Grade II listed and has a loggia and large fruit cage.
There are four cottage apartments converted from the hayloft, tack room and grooms’ accommodation all within the stable block that faces the meandering beck and bluebell woods. One is on the ground floor and three are on the first floor, accessed by an external staircase. They are all open-plan loft-style apartments featuring the original old beams and iron trusses and are fitted to the highest specification with power showers, Italian marble tiles, underfloor heating and wood-burning stoves. Four open cabins are accessed via a raised boardwalk through the Bluebell Woods.
The 200-year-old stable block has power, light, and water. There are four enclosed stables all with windows and two secure stores. The coach house now houses the bio-mass boiler.
The pavilion was designed by the eminent architect, Sir William Whitfield, in the 1980s and has hand-painted murals. It is currently used as an office.
A1(M) 5 miles, Leyburn 8 miles, Northallerton/railway station 9 miles, Thirsk 13 miles, Teesside International Airport 24 miles, Harrogate 30 miles, Leeds 53 miles, Newcastle 55 miles
Patrick Brompton is a Conservation village in the Richmondshire district of North Yorkshire convenient for the popular market towns of Bedale and Leyburn, for Swaledale and Wensleydale as well as for the motorway network. First mentioned in the Domesday Book, the village has The Green Tree country pub, historic St Patrick’s Church and the meandering Brompton Beck that runs through the village. The nearest mainline railway station is nine miles away in Northallerton; there is also a station in Thirsk and the nearest international airport is Leeds Bradford, about an hour’s drive away. Harrogate lies some 30 miles away and the northern cities of Leeds, Newcastle and York are all easily accessible.
EPC Rating: Exempt as Grade II* Listed
Services & Systems: Services include mains electricity, water and drainage. There is a biodigester for the cottages – situated alongside the main drive. House on mains sewage. Biomass boiler heats the house, all the cottages and the swimming pool.
Fixtures & Fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Viewing: Strictly by appointment
Local Authority: North Yorkshire Council www.northyorks.gov.uk. Conservation area.