A superb, vintage 1970s family house with glorious gardens, all in a breathtaking location.
Entrance vestibule, staircase hall, sitting room, kitchen breakfast room, dining area, utility room, boot room, wc
Master bedroom with en suite bathroom, 3 further bedrooms, house bathroom
Garage block with coal store and wood store, gardens
In all some ¾ acre
Highlands, 75 Carr Hill Lane, Briggswath, Whitby YO21 1RS
Highlands sits on the crest of a hill above the River Esk enjoying dramatic views to hills and valleys on three sides. The setting is unparalleled. This house was constructed in 1970 and follows the progressive aesthetic of the era with large picture windows, open plan living and the luxury of space. Sitting proudly in the middle of its large plot and taking every advantage of the outstanding views and surrounding mature gardens, this is indeed an exceptional property that will have considerable appeal.
• Versatile, light-filled family house of 2181 sq ft
• Superb setting with a southerly orientation
• Picture windows with dramatic views facing south and along the Esk Valley
• Superb L-shaped, open plan, double reception space on the ground floor with full height windows and Baxi fire with ash box
• Contemporary fitted kitchen with Neff oven and breakfast bar
• Dining area with large south and west facing windows providing fine vistas
• Impressive hall with floor to celing wood panelling, decorative hardwood doors and broad bespoke staircase
• Master bedroom suite facing south over the valley with views of Whitby Abbey to the east
• Bedroom 4/office with custom-made fitted furniture
• Large family bathroom with shower and bath
• Fitted bedroom wardrobes and further loft space for storage
• Spacious and versatile garage block with stores
Highlands is set in the middle of a large plot of some three quarters of an acre favourably placed on the southern side of a hill with fields behind and far-reaching views to the south, east and west. This is a very private garden surrounded by a beautifully manicured leylandii hedge some 10ft in height. Great swathes of lawn encircle the house and mature trees and shrubs are scattered throught providing sculptural interest and further screening. The house is reached by a sweeping tarmacadamed drive providing ample parking and a turning area, and is entirely surrounded by useful hardstanding. There is an attached garage block with two electric doors, power, plumbing and light and two outbuildings providing storage for coal and wood.
Whitby 2.5 miles, Scarborough 20 miles, Pickering 20 miles, Malton 28 miles, Middlesborough 29 miles, York 46 miles. (Distances approximate)
Briggswath is a quiet hamlet of houses and an historic Wesleyan chapel that nestle together into the steep hill side with southerly views across the Esk Valley. Part of the parish of Eskdaleside-cum-Ugglebarnby it is named after one of the medieval bridges over the Esk. Briggswath sits alongside its far busier neighbour, Sleights, an exceptionally well-served village with a wide range of shops, post office, primary school, church and doctor's surgery. Highlands is the highest house in Briggswath and the closest to Whitby, a lovely sea-faring town of national renown with a wealth of shops and high quality restaurants. Whitby sits at the heart of the Heritage Coast surrounded by the glorious scenery of the North York Moors National Park.
Services: Mains water, electricity and drainage. Oil-fired central heating.
Fixtures & fittings: Items mentioned in these particulars are included. Others may be made available separately
Local authority: Scarborough Borough Council 01653 232323
Directions: On the A171 from Pickering, head through the village of Sleights, over the main bridge across the Esk and up to nearly the top of the valley where you will see a sign to Briggswath on your right hand side. After a hundred yards, you will see Highlands, the first house on your left hand side.
Photographs and particulars: December 2019
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.