Spacious conversion of a Victorian chapel with a lovely garden and ample off street parking. Kirby Grindalythe is a pretty Wolds village in between Malton and Driffield, offering good access to York.
Entrance porch, entrance hall, WC, snug/study, sitting room, dining room, breakfast kitchen, utility
Master bedroom with en suite shower room, 3 further bedrooms, house bathroom.
Private parking, south facing garden
The Old Chapel, Kirby Grindalythe, North Yorkshire YO17 8DB
The Old Chapel lies in the heart of a picturesque Wolds village. It has been sensitively updated, retaining some of the ecclesiastical features of its origin whilst conveying a welcome modernity throught its light and bright contemporary spaces. The house enjoys an idllylic pastoral outlook overlooking the grassy, daffodil-laden banks of ‘the Gypsey Race’, a chalk stream that flows gently through the village. Kirby Grindalythe enjoys the advantages of being in the midst of some of North Yorkshire’s finest countryside within a short and picturesque drive to Malton and a very commutable distance to York.
• Former Victorian chapel circa 1886
• Family house of approximately 2200 sq ft with high ceilings
• Well planned living accommodation and generous room sizes
• Lovely architectural features: gothic arched doors, turning staircase with an elegant balustrade and handrail, vaulted ceiling in the front bedroom, beautiful floorboards
• Large country kitchen with electric AGA, butler sink, ample dining/living space, bespoke handmade cupboards and double glazed French doors opening to the garden
• Superb 22ft sitting room overlooking the stream with decorative cast iron antique fireplace sourced from Old Flames in Easingwold
• Versatile living accommodation includes a study and formal dining room
• Re-built porch with new windows that echo the Gothic arched windows of the original building
• Good sized bedrooms including a superb master bedroom suite
• Multiple storage options, ideal for a family
• South-facing, sheltered and private gardens
The house is set back from the quiet village lane behind a lawned front garden, and a gravel driveway provides ample parking for four cars with a high timber fence with access gate screening the rear garden. A strip of terracotta tiles Victorian paving blocks flanks the broad area of manicured lawn that is bordered by well stocked beds, mature shrubs and trees. Alongside, the French doors is a courtyard of blue slate chippings surrounded by a low wall, making a sheltered corner ideal for bbq/al fresco dining. With its secure boundary fence and generous lawn, this garden makes an ideal space for children and pets.
Malton and Driffield 10 miles, Pocklington 16 miles, York 25 miles, Hull 28 miles. (Distances approximate)
Kirby Grindalythe lies within the Great Wold Valley, the largest and broadest of the deep valleys that slice into the Yorkshire Wolds. This is the English landscape at its most vivid, yet it lies within a short drive of the very many amenities to be found in Driffield or Malton. Malton has gained national recognition as Yorkshire’s food capital, and it has its own railway station linking to the mainline station at York. York itself can be reached by car in little more than ¾ hour. Kirby Grindalythe might be small village but its community is supportive and strong, and there is a Grade II* Listed Sykes church and community hall.
Services: Mains electricity and water, oil central heating, self-contained sewage treatment plant
Fixtures & fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local authority: Ryedale District Council 01653 600666
Directions: Turn in to the village from Low Road and then first left. The Old Chapel is the second house on the right.
Photographs and particulars: January 2020
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.