Superb house on the edge of town with sensational coastal views.
Vestibule, entrance and staircase hall, 3 reception rooms, kitchen breakfast room, utility room, pantry, cloakroom/wc
4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms (2 en suite), separate wc
Carport, store/garage, summer house, gardens
Dunholme, 1 Sandsend Road, Whitby, North Yorkshire YO21 3LL
Built in 1922 and extended within the last twenty years, this delightful, spacious family house enjoys an unsurpassed setting on the western edge of Whitby. Its views encompass rolling countryside, the wide open green of the links golf course, the westerly headland and sea views. The property itself has an interesting history having been requisitioned by the MOD during the Second World War because of its strategic position overlooking the bay. The elevated setting with open views of the coastline remains its defining characteristic.
• Detached family house of nearly 2400 sq ft with gardens and outbuildings
• Uninterrupted outlook with breathtaking sea views
• Well insulated with double glazing and some triple glazing throughout
• High quality flooring includes engineered floorboards and Karndean flooring
• Some original internal doors and door furniture
• Contemporary kitchen is bespoke, hand-built, part freestanding with granite worktops, Range cooker and multi-fuel stove. Alongside is a utility room and large, sealed pantry with outside ventilation.
• Large sitting room in the heart of the house with gas fire stove
• The centre piece is an outstanding garden room built in 2018 of green oak with a high vaulted ceiling, Charnwood multi-fuel stove and a full vista across the western sky. French doors open on to the south facing terrace.
• Large master bedroom suite with dressing room and shower room
• Private, corner plot enabling rapid access to and from Whitby and its surrounds
• Dunholme is the last house in the town and it has its own unique postcode
The drive is approached from Love Lane. A large area of hardstanding provides an ample parking and turning area, and gives access to the timber carport with the original brick-built garage/store behind. The garden wraps around the house and the entire plot is bounded by a mature privet hedge which provides shelter and screening. Beautifully landscaped, the principal garden has a large area of lawn, sculpted beds, trees underplanted with spring bulbs, a pond and hopskotch path. To the south west is the sheltered barbeque area accessed through a wrought iron gate with stone paving, summer house and Clematis Montana providing a colourful backdrop from spring to summer. To the north is the expansive gravelled working area of the garden.
Scarborough and Pickering 20 miles, Middlesbrough and Malton 28 miles (Malton Railway Station has a connection to the mainline at York), York 46 miles. (Distances approximate)
Dunholme lies at the edge of Whiby, a few hundred metres from the sandy beach and about a mile from the centre of this thriving seaside town with its many amenities. Whitby is a lovely sea-faring town of national renown that sits at the heart of the Heritage Coast surrounded by the glorious scenery of the North York Moors National Park.
Services: All mains services. Gas central heating.
Fixtures & fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local authority: Scarborough Borough Council 01723 232323
Directions: Dunholme has a corner plot at the far western point of the town opposite the golf club, on the junction between Love Lane and Sandsend Road. The drive is accessed from Love Lane.
Photographs and particulars: January 2020
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.