4 St Mary’s Lane, York
Exceptional contemporary house in York’s most favoured residential area
Entrance and staircase hall with atrium, domestic offices, wc, kitchen dining living room space, family room, study, gym
Master bedroom suite, 3 further bedrooms, 2 further bathrooms
Double garage, additional gated off street parking for 5 cars
St Mary’s Lane enjoys one of the most agreeable settings of any town house in York, being in a quiet residential corner off Bootham, one of the grand Georgian thoroughfares into the city. It lies within a short stroll of York city centre, the railway station and the wide open spaces that run along the river’s edge.
No. 4 St Mary’s Lane is a state-of-the-art contemporary building that exhibits drama and discretion in equal measure. Its restrained but stylish front elevation belies the monumental scale of the light-filled interiors that orientate south with views across the rear garden to St Olave’s church and the city roofscape. For all its magnificence this is a discreet property within a quiet neighbourhood, well screened from the hustle and bustle of the city.
The house itself is detached and substantial, being more than 4000 sq ft (not including the double garage) and lying in the heart of a generous plot of 6760 sq ft in a historic residential area just outside the city centre. Designed by the prestigious and multi award-winning architects, Bramhall Blenkharn, and completed in January 2018, its luxurious and versatile interiors make it suitable for a range of buyers and lifestyles.
The magnificent 41ft kitchen dining living room is the focal point of the living accommodation and hub of the house with its majestic, full width, glazed doors that slide open to reveal the garden beyond. An uninterrupted link between the inside/outside spaces is suggested by the continuity of the tiled flooring beyond to the garden terrace. A bespoke fitted kitchen has a 5-oven gas-fired Aga, built-in units including a larder fridge and coffee machine, boiling-water and mixer tap, microwaver/steam oven, Corian countertops, a waste disposal unit and general larder with a contemporary wood-burning stove in the living area.
Freehold for sale
• Architecturally thrilling with an emphasis on structure, space and natural light and the use of a wide range of materials such as heritage bricks, oak, slate, glass, steel and zinc
• Dramatic double height ceilings
• Superb entertaining space inside and out
• Supersized pocket doors enable the kitchen dining living room to be separated from the rest of the house when slid shut, allowing the house to be zoned and creating an enclosed entertaining space.
• Private rear outlook and bearing with southerly orientation
• Near complete privacy enhanced by contemporary wooden shutters that slide across the windows on the north western elevation
• High tech and high end: Rako light system, Sonos sound system, Smart opaque glass technology, thermost central heating, wireless Smart home security, electric blinds, underfloor heating throughout the ground floor, contemporary radiators, oak internal doors, bespoke double-width central staircase,
• Highly insulated with a rare A/B energy efficient rating
• A zoned utility area and ample storage options throughout make this a functional and well designed family home
• Annexed principal bedroom suite with bespoke dressing area and large bathroom, and full-width windows providing southerly views
• Stylish bathroom fixtures and fittings include Villeroy & Boch and Duravit, walk-in rain showers and heated towel rails
• Fast broadband – ideal options for working from home
• Lanscaped, low maintenance garden ideal for entertaining
Single and double gates, both electric, open to a paved courtyard in front of the house that gives access to the double garage (with power, light and plumbing) and provides ample gated parking for five cars with bin store alongside. A secure side gate gives access to the rear. The striking back garden is designed to complement the modernity of the house with form and structure being at the heart of its design. A lovely old mellow brick wall provides a characterful backdrop with three birch trees and three Red Robin trees lining the well-screened eastern and western boundaries. Waves of Rosemary and colourful perennials provide colour and movement. This is an outside space designed with lifestyle and entertaining in mind.
York city centre approximately ¼ mile
St Mary’s Lane occupies a discreet position off Bootham on a quiet, back lane that slopes gently south towards the river Ouse. The principal shopping streets of York are a few minutes’ stroll through the Museum Gardens past the medieval ruins of St Mary’s Abbey. Two high-ranking independent schools lie on Bootham and mainline York Railway Station (connection to London in best time of 1hr 50 mins) is reached via a pleasant walkway across Scarborough Rail Footbridge.
All mains services
Fixtures and fittings
Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as furniture, curtains, light fittings, stand alone appliances, garden ornaments, etc, are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
City of York 01904 551550
Heading into York along Bootham, turn right down St Mary’s and first left down St Mary’s Lane. No. 4 is near the bottom on the left hand side behind high gates.
Photographs & particulars 2019 and July 2020