Luxurious 18th century cottage and walled garden in York’s historic Marygate
Kitchen breakfast room, utility area, cloakroom WC, sitting room, dining room, principal bedroom suite with dressing room and bathroom, second bedroom suite with shower room
Walled garden, garage
Freehold for sale
St Mary’s Cottage, 62 Marygate, York YO30 7BH
• Stylish mid to late 18th century Grade II listed cottage mentioned in Pevsner’s ‘The Buildings of England’
• Superb residential location opposite The Museum Gardens offering a pleasant stroll into the city centre; five minutes’ walk from York railway station with connection to London in 1 hour 50 minutes (fastest time)
• 1385 sq ft of luxurious living accommodation including two reception rooms and two bedroom suites
• Character features include flagstones, four elegant restored fireplaces, original sash windows including five handsome 16-pane windows, high ceilings, traditional cast iron radiators, good ceiling heights on both floors
• Superb joinery throughout: skillful cabinet discreetly concealing the television; bespoke kitchen seating, covert door to the cloakroom disguised as a coordinated kitchen cupboard; shutter doors into the dining room that fold back out of sight to amplify natural light and widen access, bespoke colonial shutters
• Hand crafted kitchen with granite worktops, gas-fired Aga, gas Neff hob and integrated microwave. In the adjoining utility area are an integrated freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer, wine fridge and additional storage
• Underfloor heating throughout the ground floor
• Two elegant reception rooms both with feature period fireplaces
• Principal bedroom suite with walk-in dressing room and large bathroom
• High spec lighting and bathroom fixtures and fittings
• Enchantingly beautiful walled garden, private and sheltered
Access to the property is via a secure garden gate (password door lock system) within a high brick wall on Marygate. The walled garden sits directly in front of the property, is paved in York stone with abundantly planted beds, standard bay trees surrounded by clipped box and a fine silver birch on the north west corner. Highly private and sheltered this beautiful garden offers an extraordinarily calm space in the heart of the city. The property comes with a single garage on Marygate Lane, accessed through wrought-iron gates.
York city centre approximately ¼ mile
St Mary’s Cottage occupies a discreet position on Marygate just down from Bootham, the historic thoroughfare that meets the medieval walls at Bootham Bar. Marygate slopes south towards the river Ouse, with one of York’s finest restaurants at its farthest point. The principal shopping streets of York are a few minutes’ stroll through the Museum Gardens past the medieval ruins of St Mary’s Abbey. Two independent schools lie on Bootham and the railway station is a five minute walk across Scarborough Rail Footbridge.
All mains services. Gas-fired central heating.
Fixtures and fittings
Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as furniture, curtains, light fittings, stand alone appliances, garden ornaments, etc, are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
City of York 01904 551550
Directions: heading down Bootham, turn right into Marygate. The property can be found at no. 62 on the right hands side just before Hetherton Street. There is residents’ parking and a Marygate car park around the corner.
Photographs and particulars: August and September 2020
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.