The Knoll, Upper Poppleton, York
The Knoll, Boroughbridge Road, Upper Poppleton, York YO26 6QB
Magnificent detached Edwardian York house surrounded by its own substantial gardens
Entrance and staircase hall, cloakroom/wc, 3 large reception rooms, kitchen breakfast room, utility room, laundry, wc, office
5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
Double garage, summer house, stores, gardens and grounds
Freehold for sale
The Knoll is a substantial house and much-loved family home available for sale for the first time in more than twenty years. Originally commissioned and owned by a Rowntree Director, its lavish turn of the century reception rooms has exceptional fireplaces believed to have a York Railways connection. The Knoll is an outstanding property set in nearly an acre of mature gardens, and it undoubtedly offers an exciting opportunity to a family requiring rapid connections to the city centre, railway station and motorway network.
• Substantial period house of 3500 sq ft set in nearly one acre of mature gardens
• Superb location within the York ring road, two miles from York Railway Station
• Quiet leafy setting, discreet, privately positioned and not overlooked
• Interesting period features: servants’ bells; ornate plasterwork and cornicing; exceptional staircase with mahogany balusters and newel post upright lamps; curved and square bays with original sash leaded windows, porthole windows and window seats; exposed beams; original doors and wooden flooring
• The grand front entrance on the veranda opens to the double height, galleried hall with outstanding mosaic floor commissioned by the first Rowntree owner in 1906, and believed to have been derived from the prototype at the Rowntree headquarters in York.
• Uniquely designed and beautifully crafted dining room characterised by its checkerboard parquet polished floor, inglenook fireplace with deep, panelled alcove, bespoke fireside seats and porthole windows, and square south facing bay with leaded windows and hand-crafted window seats.
• Large and light kitchen breakfast room with gas-fired Aga, island, granite worktops, Belfast sink, bespoke breakfast area seating and wonderful views on to the garden. There is a useful utility room and laundry room alongside.
• Sitting room with working fire, and a south facing bay window with seating built in around window
• Elegant drawing room open to the study with mahogany bookshelves deep, east facing bay window, gas fire and French doors onto the garden
• Home office with fast broadband
• Five large and light bedrooms some with fitted wardrobes and pretty bedroom fireplaces, and two large bathrooms
• Ample storage options throughout
• Substantial boarded loft space with electricity and light, providing potential for expanding into the second floor
At the property entrance are tall brick pillars and ornate wrought-iron gates. Lime trees line the long drive that sweeps in front of the house to the double garage and stores, passing the all-season summer house with wooden roof, floor, lighting and power. Here the large, terraced front garden is predominantly laid to lawn (formerly a croquet lawn) with a wall and well-established hedge on the western boundary. The garden wraps around the house with the garage and outbuildings lying to the north. To the rear a pergola swathed in perennial climbers leads to the formal pond (currently filled in to safeguard young children), flagged either side by lawns and bounded by mature trees and shrubs. To the east lies a walled garden with herbs and vegetable beds divided by gravel paths.
York railway station 2 miles, A64 4 miles, A1M 15 miles, Leeds 26 miles. (Distances approximate)
The Knoll is well placed for the many retail and service outlets that lie just off the York A1237, with John Lewis/Vangarde Shopping Park being some ten minutes by car to the north and the Designer Outlet some ten minutes to the south. The city centre and all of York’s superb private schools are easily reached by car or on bicycle. The house itself is located just a few hundred yards from a convenient M&S and petrol station, with a bus stop at the end of the drive and York Park & Ride just beyond. The nearby ringroad provides rapid access to Leeds, the A1M and the major conurbations beyond.
Services: all mains services. Gas central heating. The Aga provides hot water.
Fixtures & fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local authority: City of York council 01904 551550 www.york.gov.uk
Directions: Coming from the A1237 York ring road heading west at the Poppleton roundabout on the corner of the petrol station/Simply Food M&S take the A59 left into York. Some 200 yards down on your left opposite the Muddy Boots nursery is the drive to The Knoll, identified by two low white markers. Drive straight up to the house through the two brick pillars.
Photographs and particulars: September 2020
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.