Pendle House, Ripon, North Yorkshire
Pendle House, Kangel Close, Ripon HG4 1DE
Hugely versatile Regency property of significant size and character, set in mature gardens of more than an acre
Principal house: entrance hall/sitting room, 2 further reception rooms, conservatory, kitchen, utility room, cellars, separate wc, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms
Coach house: conservatory, dining room, study, kitchen, wc, store, first floor room
Drive, ample off street parking, paved and gravelled terraces, lawns and well wooded gardens
In all some one acre
Freehold for sale
In the same ownership for nearly fifty years, Pendle House is a much loved, rambling family home of significant scope and character, set amidst beautifully designed gardens of approximately one acre. The principal house and adjacent self-contained coach house together provide a substantial and versatile property that offers multiple options to the incoming buyer. This is an ideal property for multiple generations within the same family.
The detached annexe, formerly a workshop, is now a significant property in its own right. It has been renovated, re-roofed and insulated with underfloor heating, vaulted ceilings, exposed beams and large floor-to-ceiling windows. It is part converted to form a self-contained apartment (open plan living space, kitchenette, shower room). If fully developed and with the right consents in place it could make a substantial cottage suitable for residential use, or as a home office/business space.
• Principal detached house of 3660 sq ft
• Principal house and coach house both circa 1830s and Grade II listed
• Detached, single storey, modern annexe of nearly 2000 sq ft offering potential
• Period features abound and include: working fires, cornicing and plasterwork, floorboards, deep bays, sash windows, glorious arched landing window, staircase with finely-turned spindles and a polished handrail, exposed beams and brickwork
• Elegant and well proportioned living rooms with wonderful bays that aid natural sunlight including an entrance reception hall and drawing room
• Adjoining the country kitchen is a characterful living room with quarry tile floor, exposed brickwork housing a multi-fuel stove, timber ceiling and glorious windows overlooking the garden
• Traditional conservatory fully glazed along its 40ft length and eastern aspect, flanking both the principal house and coach house. A staircase leads to an attractive room with three windows overlooking the garden, suitable for office or gym.
• Two dry cellars
• Ample storage options throughout
• Principal west facing bedroom suite with dressing room and adjoining bathroom. There are two further double bedrooms both with built-in wardrobes and one with an adjoining bathroom; there is also a single bedroom.
• Annexe offers many options and has the potential to generate income
• Property sits within its own mature west facing gardens
The house is approached through wrought iron gates onto a gravelled drive with the detached annexe on the left. The gardens surround the house but principally lie on the western flank; there is a long sweep of lawn, colourful and well-stocked herbaceous borders, mature shrubs and trees, meandering paths and gravelled areas as well as a secluded wooded copse and wildlife area with wildlife pond and bridge. The gardens extend to just under one acre, are private, sheltered and well screened with a natural boundary of trees and hedges.
City centre ½ mile, A1M 4 miles, Harrogate 11 miles, Leeds Bradforde Airport 22 miles, Leeds 33 miles. (Distances approximate)
Pendle House sits conveniently on the south east corner of the city, close to the A61 trunk road and B6265 giving rapid access to the A1M and beyond. The heart of this historic cathedral city with its multiple amenities lies within walking distance, less than half a mile away, with Ripon Grammar School (‘Outstanding in all areas’) just beyond. Queen Mary’s in Baldersley Park and Cundall Manor independent schools are both some ten miles distant.
Services: all mains services. Gas central heating.
Fixtures & fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local authority: Borough of Harrogate, North Yorkshire 01423 500600
Directions: Take the A61 by-pass north into the city, and on the roundabout just before the canal, turn right on to Dallamires Lane, then first right on Kangel Close At the end of this no-through lane is Pendle House.
Photographs and particulars: September 2020
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.