Ryedale House, Kirbymoorside
Delightful Georgian town house with a courtyard garden
Entrance and staircase hall, 5 reception room, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms
Courtyard garden, roof terrace
Freehold for sale
Ryedale House, 5 Church Street, Kirkbymoorside, North Yorkshire YO62 6AZ
Ryedale House dates from the tail end of the eighteenth century and sits proudly just below All Saints Church on a quiet no-through Georgian street that peters out into open countryside. Arranged over three floors with a basement, the property at some point in its past appropriated a building from the neighbouring churchyard, now providing additional living and bedroom space, as well as a roof terrace above the kitchen. This is an utterly beguiling town house of great character with the large formal rooms at the front of the property and more versatile accommodation at the rear. It is offered for sale with no onward purchase.
• Handsome terraced town house with shallow pitched roof of Welsh slate
• Versatile accommodation of more than 2500 sq ft with a courtyard garden and roof terrace
• Grade II listed and believed to date circa 1795
• Original period features include the grand pedimented front door, bow windows, multiple-paned sash windows, wooden panelling, two fireplaces, exposed beams and a staircase with polished handrail
• Versatile accommodation with four reception rooms. The northern wing of the house, linked by the kitchen, could make useful guest bedroom accommodation or suit a teenager seeking a degree of separation.
• French doors open west on to the courtyard terrace from the large and well fitted kitchen breakfast room
• The snug adjoins the kitchen and is a room of great character with its open fireplace and stone seats; it overlooks the church.
• Sitting room with fireplace held within a cast iron grate and bow window overlooking Church Street
• First floor drawing room with its south facing bow window and fireplace with Georgian pine mantel housing an early Victorian cast iron inset
• Large principal bedroom with an original Georgian fireplace and en suite bathroom
• Two large bathrooms and a shower room, all with modern fixtures and fittings
• Within a short stroll of the heart of this bustling town
Broad and shallow stone steps guided by wrought-iron railings lead up to the raised front door to the property. The private, outside space lies at the rear of the house. Accessed from the ground floor is a paved terrace with raised beds and stone steps ascending to a further elevated terrace with wrought iron railings, raised beds and trellis work set against the high boundary wall. The west facing decked roof terrace bound by low wrought-iron railings is accessed from the first floor sitting room.
Helmsley 6 miles, Pickering 7 miles, Malton 15 miles, Scarborough 25 miles, York 26 miles. (Distances approximate)
Kirkbymoorside sits on the A170 Thirsk to Scarborough road on the southern edge of the North York Moors National Park between Pickering and Helmsley. Malton railway station connects to the mainline railway station at York with its regular service to London. Kirkbymoorside itself has the wide range of facilities and amenities expected of a flourishing market town in rural North Yorkshire including numerous independent shops and two supermarkets, schools, pubs, post office, GP surgery and pharmacy. ‘Outstanding’ Ryedale School lies three miles away, and a selection of independent schools are within easy reach.
Services: All mains services. Gas central heating.
Fixtures & fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local authority: Ryedale District Council 01653 600666
Directions: Heading south down Market Place turn left onto Church Street and you’ll see the Ryedale House some fifty yards up on your left hand side.
Photographs and particulars: September 2020
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.