Low Grange, Westow, York
Beautifully renovated period York stone farmhouse with exceptional outbuildings and far-reaching views over open countryside.
Entrance hallway, cloakroom wc, utility/boot room, 4 reception rooms, open plan kitchen breakfast room
6 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms (3 en suite), eaves storage
Courtyard, stable blocks, outbuildings, open garaging, front and rear landscaped gardens, outdoor kitchen, paddocks, 2 stables
Around 3 acres
Low Grange, Westow, York, North Yorkshire YO60 7LU
Low Grange dates back to the sixteenth century and is full of great charm and character having been extensively and sympathetically renovated. It enjoys a private, rural setting nestled into around three acres of countryside just outside Westow, one of the Howardian Hills’ most picturesque villages. The property has an exceptional array of beautifully refurbished courtyard outbuildings that offer a range of options including working from home and entertainment/hospitality. In addition, the glorious outdoor terraces, barbeque area with outdoor kitchen and gardens are closely linked to the principal house, all enjoying superb views across unspoilt countryside.
• Detached stone house with nearly 4800 sq ft of luxurious accommodation arranged over three floors
• Beautifully renovated with high specification fixtures and fittings throughout
• At the heart of the home is a 24ft wide open plan kitchen breakfast room with substantial exposed beams and three sets of floor to ceiling double doors bringing the garden into the kitchen. There is an expansive island unit incorporating a double Belfast sink, 5 ring hob and an integrated double drawer fridge. A large original brick and stone fireplace houses an electric 4 oven Aga with an extended integral 2 Oven Aga module, and the floor is a combination of flagged York Stone and polished oak floorboards. There is ample space for a breakfast table with six chairs and two sofas.
• Striking dining room and adjoining library connected by double doors
• Snug with inglenook fireplace and log burning stove
• Dual aspect sitting room with inglenook fireplace containing elevated open grate and sheet metal hood
• Six bedrooms and four bathrooms over two floors
• Principal master suite with vaulted ceiling, private balcony and en suite four-piece bathroom incorporating large jacuzzi bath with integrated TV, ‘his and hers’ sinks, separate walk-in shower and walk-in wardrobe
• Outstanding stone outbuildings centred around a courtyard – totalling 3188 sq ft
• Landscaped gardens and grounds with paddocks, mixed woodland and grassland
The property is reached via a Highways owned tarmacadamed green lane (giving access to Low Grange and fields owned by a neighbouring farm) some quarter of a mile in length. Electric gates open to a parking/turning area and a wrap around drive that continues to a courtyard flanked by a triple bay garage and multiple outbuildings offering great scope and versatility. These include stable blocks, store rooms, a gym, bar, kitchen with fitted appliances and a covered sun terrace. All have recently received the benefit of new insulated roofs throughout, brick set floors, full lighting refit and cast-iron radiators.
Alongside and accessed from the kitchen breakfast room is a patio with Argentinian style barbeque area incorporating a sandstone outdoor kitchen, pizza oven and stone fireplace. The patio sits on the crescent of a sweeping lawn that descends gently, making the most of the impressive panoramic views. The main gardens have two manicured lawns with a mature tree boundary. In addition there are two enclosed paddocks: the larger paddock lies to the east, is surrounded by mixed woodland and has two timber stables; the smaller paddock lies to the north.
Malton 5 miles, York 14 miles, John Lewis/Vangarde 12 miles. (Distances approximate)
Westow village can be found in a beautiful stretch of rolling North Yorkshire countryside between the Howardian Hills and the rising hills of the Wolds and yet the main A64 Leeds-Scarborough trunk road lies just three miles away. In the village itself, there is a fine dining pub, a thriving cricket club with its own newly built pavilion, a popular village hall with community activities and classes and a renowned tailor. At least four excellent gourmet establishments can be found within several miles and all the facilities of the thriving market town of Malton, Yorkshire’s food capital, are close at hand. Malton railway station is about 10 minutes by car and York some 35 minutes’ away.
Services: Mains water and electricity with oil fired central heating.
Fixtures & fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local authority: Ryedale District Council 01653 600666
Directions: from Westow village centre, head east on Main Street and onto Low Lane to the crossroads. Turn right and follow the road over the brow of the hill. The property can be located just after the brow on the right, down a single track lane. NB Low Grange shares the same postcode with Grange Farm.