The Old Vicarage, Scawby, Brigg, North Lincolnshire DN20 9LX
Exceptional English country house with a self-contained flat, range of Georgian outbuildings, tennis court, heated swimming pool and magnificent gardens and grounds.
Entrance and staircase hall, 3 reception rooms, study, office, cloakroom wc, kitchen, breakfast room, domestic offices, wine cellar
Master bedroom with en suite bathroom, 7 further bedrooms, 3 further bathrooms
Self-contained flat: 2 bedrooms, bathroom, sitting room, kitchen
Multiple outbuildings and stores, garaging, swimming pool, pool house, summer house
Landscaped gardens, kitchen garden, orchard, woodland
In all some 7.15 acres
Freehold for sale
The Old Vicarage is an outstanding Georgian country house set in private, mature gardens and grounds of more than seven acres with glorious views from every window. The grand reception rooms, formal gardens and terraces, heated outdoor swimming pool with pool house, summer house and hard tennis court together combine to make it ideally suited to all-season entertaining on a grand scale. Located some 165 miles due north of central London, its geographical convenience is a great advantage: it offers easy access to numerous towns and cities, as well as the national motorway network.
In recent years this much-loved home has undergone a sympathetic programme of restoration and is now in immaculate decorative condition. It is available on the market for the first time since 1938.
• Grade II listed eighteenth century house constructed of Lincolnshire limestone under a slate roof
• Luxurious accommodation of more than 7500 sq ft arranged over three storeys
• All principal rooms enjoy a south facing orientation over the gardens
• Abundance of period features include canted bays, sash windows, ornate plasterwork, original wide floorboards, finely turned staircase and splendid fireplaces
• Practical family house with versatile accommodation, ample storage options, domestic offices and extensive cellars
• Self-contained flat making it ideal for multi-generational living
• Ideal for entertaining, inside and out
• Mature landscaped gardens wrap around the property and are beautifully illuminated
• Edge of village location with open views across grazing land
• Magnificent double aspect drawing room with open fire and deep triple bays providing a wonderful outlook over the gardens and grounds
• Bespoke Mark Wilkinson kitchen with a central island, granite worktops, oak and granite breakfast bar, integrated Miele appliances, double sink with waste disposal unit, Sub Zero Wolf Dual Fuel Range cooker and extensive marble floors continuing into the breakfast room and beyond
• South west facing breakfast room with windows on two sides and French doors opening on to the garden, offering abundant natural light and superb garden views
• Plentiful domestic offices alongside the kitchen including a bespoke Mark Wilkinson utility room, pantry, boot room and gun room
• Magnificent 25ft dining room with French doors opening on to the garden terrace
• Home working options include an office with bespoke cabinetry and good broadband speed
• The superb principal bedroom suite has a bathroom, dressing room with bespoke cabinetry and a south facing balcony overlooking the rose garden
• Seven further bedrooms on two floors, some with ornate cast iron fireplaces and fitted wardrobes and all enjoying wonderful views
• Smart and stylish self-contained flat on the first floor with its own front door as well as access from the principal house. It has a stair lift from the ground floor and compromises two bedrooms, bathroom, sitting room and kitchen.
A long, private carriage driveway sweeps past the extensive front lawn, well screened from the village road, to the house and beyond to the multiple outbuildings that date from the Georgian period. Here there is garaging for five cars, and a large loft/storage area above offering potential to develop. The property has its own petrol and diesel tanks.
Accessed from the house on the southern elevation are the formal gardens: the first is the glorious rose garden with manicured lawns, clipped hedging, stone pathways flagged by lavender and a low stone balustrade; the second is a par terre garden with clipped hedges and shrubs, and a central stone fountain from which gravel pathways emanate, all sheltered by high hedging and specimen trees.
Beyond the rose garden is the ‘play area’ with a hard tennis court, pétanque court and a heated swimming pool with an electric cover, all flagged by swathes of beautifully manicured lawn. The elegant cedarwood pool house contains two changing rooms, wc, wet room and a utility room at the rear (washing machine, tumble dryer and Belfast sink). All is sheltered by a high hedge and mature trees. Overlooking the pool is the luxurious Crown Pavilions cedarwood summer house and south facing stone terrace; it has built-in seating, kitchenette, heating, and TV/internet point/telephone line, and separate room to the rear.
Within the grounds are a well-stocked kitchen garden with potting shed and two green houses, an orchard and woodland.
Humberside Airport 11 miles; Lincoln 23 miles; M18 20 miles; Hull, Doncaster, Robin Hood Airport and M62 28 miles; Leeds and York 55 miles. (Distances approximate)
Scawby is a charming rural Conservation village defined by its eighteenth and nineteenth century old red brick and limestone buildings, estate cottages and alms houses. It lies on the outskirts of the historic market town of Brigg and close to local amenities and open countryside. Over the river Humber (the Humber Bridge is 15 minutes’ drive), a wealth of facilities can be found at Willerby Retail Park, including a Waitrose. The mainline railway station at Doncaster (40 minutes’ drive) offers a regular service to London Kings Cross service from as little as 95 minutes. A number of towns and cities in Lincolnshire, the East Riding and North Yorkshire can be reached with ease, as can the national motorway network.
Services: Mains water, electricity and drainage. Oil central heating.
Fixtures & fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local authority: North Lincolnshire Council. Conservation area. Tax Band G
Directions: heading through Scawby from the south, The Old Vicarage is the last property in the village on your left hand side.
Photographs and particulars: Summer and winter 2020
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.