A perfect village house with south facing garden, cottage, garaging and store
Entrance and staircase hall, cloakroom wc, 2 reception rooms, snug, kitchen breakfast room, utility room, boot room/cloakroom, garden room, principal bedroom with en suite shower room, 3 further bedrooms, house bathroom
Cottage: living/dining room, kitchen, bedroom, shower room
Garden, double garage, trailer shed, stores
Freehold for sale
West House, High Street, Stillington, York YO61 1LG
Sitting in the heart of this lovely village north of York, West House is a delightful eighteenth century property sympathetically restored and extended to create practical, contemporary living accommodation in a building of enormous charm and character. Together with its lovely walled garden, cottage, outbuildings and off street parking, West House is a family-sized property that would equally suit a country house owner wanting to downsize.
• Detached period house of nearly 2200 sq ft with cottage, garaging and outbuildings
• Formerly a house and village store, dating from the 18th century and not listed
• South facing orientation overlooking the walled garden
• Well maintained and updated over the last ten years to include a new damp proof system, new double glazed timber windows, chimney repointed
• Many period features include open fires, exposed beams and brickwork, front door and internal cottage doors, quarry tiles and stable door.
• Superb, generously proportioned, family kitchen/breakfast room with quarry tiles, oil-fired Aga, butler sink and granite worktops. Alongside is a useful utility room and boot room.
• Wonderful garden room facing south and west with a skylight and French doors opening on to the garden terrace
• Dining room with open fireplace and brick alcove revealing an old oven
• Snug with quarry tiles, open fire and views over the garden
• Formal 21ft sitting room with multi-fuel stove and French doors opening south onto the garden terrace with its west facing mellow brick wall
• Modern bathroom fixtures and fittings. The large house bathroom has glorious views over pastures and woodland.
• Principal bedroom suite has privacy being on the eastern wing of the house
• Two bedrooms with fitted wardrobes
• Detached self-contained cottage successfully let as an Airbnb. There is potential to develop and extend the cottage on the eastern boundary.
The house is elevated and set back from the village road above a deep grassy bank. A rear lane leads to the 5-bar gate which gives access to the walled courtyard flanked to three sides by the garaging (brick with pantile roof), stores and cottage. The garage block comprises a large double garage with up-and-over doors and a single double height garage with timber doors, all secure. Attached to the garage is an enclosed and open store. The beautifully renovated single storey cottage has its independent entrance facing the courtyard. The sunny garden links the house to the outbuildings, faces south and has a 12ft mellow brick wall on its western flank. It is sheltered and well screened, largely laid to lawn with mature shrubs and trees. An elevated York stone terrace borders the house providing a number of sunny spots from which to enjoy the garden.
Distances York 10 miles. Easingwold 3 miles, Helmsley 12 miles, Malton 16 miles. (Distances approximate)
Stillington is a popular, well served and viable village just 10 miles north of York on the edge of the Howardian Hills. Its post office/general store is owned and run by the community; there is a doctors’ surgery, primary School, two thriving pubs, Indian restaurant and sports club with cricket, football, tennis and squash, as well as a village hall. There are regular bus services to both York and the nearby market town of Easingwold.
Mains water, electricity and drainage. Oil fired central heating.
Fixtures and fittings: fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local authority: Hambleton District 01609 779977
Directions: Heading north into Stillington from York, turn left on to the High Street and you will see West House 100 metres up on the left hand side.
Photographs and particulars: October/November 2020
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation