The Tree House, 21a Trentholme Drive, York YO24 1EL
Striking architecture within a quiet residential corner close to York city walls
Entrance and staircase hall, 33ft living/dining space, kitchen breakfast area, wc, pantry/store, 3 bedrooms, office/bedroom 4, 3 bathrooms
Garden, detached outbuilding/gym, private parking for 3 cars
Freehold for sale
Built in 2000 and substantially extended by Coffey Architects in 2012, this magnificent detached contemporary house is set back from the road less than a mile from the city walls. Its architectural legacy is secure with a number of prestigious awards to its name. The original cedar-clad structure with its dramatic zinc-clad self-supporting extension offers a refreshing contrast to the traditional 1930s houses in Trentholme Drive. Inside, the accommodation is inverted with bedrooms on the ground floor and the main living space above. Its singular outlook over the tree canopy can be enjoyed through the full-height windows, terrace and balcony. This is a high spec, high tech house that offers practical space that is designed for entertaining and city living.
• Detached house with more than 2000 sq ft of versatile accommodation
• Double regional RIBA award winner in 2012 and Ideal Home of the Year ‘Blue Ribbon’ in 2013
• Engineered Elka Oak real wood flooring throughout
• Digital zoned heating in all rooms
• Many of the windows have bespoke Shot Silk Portobello roller blinds by Louvolite; these are remote controlled with a room darkening system
• Lighting includes pendant lights to kitchen and main living areas, and LED spotlights elsewhere
• Contemporary open-tread steel staircase
• The remarkable 33 ft living space has an exposed wooden ceiling punctured with multiple skylights. Within its cathedral-like dimensions are: a raised dining area connecting to a terrace through a glazed door and expansive full-height windows; a spacious and inviting living area; an open plan kitchen.
• The stylish Neptune kitchen is a bespoke Chichester design incorporating: Old English work surfaces; Siemens integrated appliances including double oven, ceramic hob, plate warmer and coffee machine along with full height fridge and freezer; a Miele wine fridge; a Falmec Soffio extractor fan
• Ample storage options throughout with bespoke fitted wardrobes by Sharps in all three bedrooms
• Three bathrooms, all with floor-to-ceiling honed Travertine
• Designated home office/study with superfast broadband speeds throughout (currently 34.5 mbps) and en suite shower room alongside.
• Gymnasium and store holding the secure gun cupboard within a detached building; bifold doors open south east on to the garden
• Knavesmire/York Racecourse on the doorstep, strolling distance from York and its railway station
There is a private space for three cars where a fine beech tree (TPO) stands sentinel. Beyond lies the house, tucked in a quiet corner and set back from the road behind a high brick wall and cedar fence. Large sliding gates open to an area of brick setts (single parking space) that leads past the detached gymnasium building to the office, meeting a path flagged with beds that arrives at the imposing front entrance. At the front, the contemporary landscaped garden has an artificial lawn and structural planting. Along the south eastern elevation is a side garden of decking with a mellow old wall behind that provides an appealing and sheltered sitting out area. To the western elevation a covered area provides storage options. The house is fully detached.
York city walls ½ mile, York Railway Station 0.8 mile, York Minster 1.2 miles. (Distances approximate)
Trentholme Drive is a quiet and leafy cul de sac characterised by pleasing 1930s housing, conveniently located just south of the city walls and around the corner from the Knavesmire/racecourse (with its cycle network and Park Run). Nearby Micklegate offers a variety of bars, cafés and restaurants, its cobbled Georgian road descending gently to the city centre. York Railway Station is a 15-minute walk from the house, giving mainline access to London King’s Cross in under two hours. The A64 connecting to the A1M and Leeds lies some two miles to the south passing a convenient supermarket and York College. A good bus service runs along the Tadcaster Road.
Services: All mains services.
Systems: Hot water and underfloor heating (water) powered by a vaillant EcoTec plus 637 System gas boiler and nu Heat. Underfloor heating in study is electric (warm up system).
Fixtures & fittings: All fixtures, fittings and furniture not specifically itemised within these particulars are deemed removable by the vendor.
Local authority: City of York council 01904 551550 www.york.gov.uk. Conservation area.
Directions: Trentmere Drive lies just off the A1036 Tadcaster Road. Heading south it is the last turning before the Knavesmire/Knavesmire Road.
Photographs and particulars: January 2021
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.