Sutton Barn, Sutton on the Forest, York
Sutton Barn, York Road, Sutton on the Forest, York YO61 1ER
Substantial barn conversion with gardens and grounds of more than three acres
Entrance vestibule, 5 reception rooms, kitchen breakfast room, utility room, laundry, utility room, wc, 6 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, loft spaces
Integral garage, gardens, woodland, orchard
In all some 3.34 acres
Freehold for sale
Finished to the current owners’ specification more than twenty years ago, this superb, detached family house provides substantial living and bedroom accommodation principally on the ground floor. Many of the interior spaces have vaulted ceilings, original beams and exposed brickwork that pay homage to the property’s heritage in both dimension and design. The four sides of this remarkable period barn conversion enclose a large, sheltered, inner garden, with the mature gardens and grounds lying mainly to the west. This is a property of great versatility with the space to accommodate a large, extended family and work from home.
• Detached period barn conversion in a rural setting
• Versatile accommodation amounting to more than 5000 sq ft
• Large rooms with high vaulted ceilings, ideal for entertaining
• Character features include timber flooring across most of the property, original beams, bespoke doors (exterior doors recently fitted) and cast iron guttering
• Palatial reception hall/dining room with wood-burning stove
• Sitting room with cast iron gas stove and west facing French doors to garden
• Country kitchen breakfast room with ample room for dining table, cooking range, granite worktops, integrated appliances and tiled floor as well as generous utility areas and rear access
• Adjoining the kitchen, a cosy snug with French doors to the inner garden
• Capacious study with its own independent entrance and south facing views
• High speed wireless Beeline broadband giving superfast internet access
• Bedroom wing provides views across and/or access to the garden and grounds
• Impressive first floor principal bedroom suite with outside granary steps
• Potential to convert the 28 ft games room into an integral triple garage (proposed in original plans)
• Open outlook and far-reaching views
• Close to York and the city’s independent schooling
The drive is some 500 metres in length and leads past a neighbouring detached property and pond to a five-bar gate. Here a private gravelled parking and turning area alongside the entrance of Sutton Barn provides ample room for multiple vehicles. On the eastern boundary of the property, a gate opens to a further, secure tarmacadamed area in front of the single garage also giving access to the rear entrance of the house. The four sides of the house enclose a large central courtyard garden ‘room’ of paved terraces and lawn.
The gardens and grounds wrap around the house but lie predominantly to the west with a well wooded area to the northern boundary and an orchard close to the house. There are herbaceous borders with areas of paving for sitting out and enjoying the view. Large expanses of lawn are scattered with mature shrubs and trees of multiple variety, numbering in their hundreds. The whole is bounded by timber fencing with some beech hedging, and there are views across arable farmland to three sides.
York 8 miles, Easingwold 5 miles, A19 5 miles, Leeds 28 miles. (Distances approximate).
Sutton Barn lies a mile outside Sutton on the Forest, conveniently situated just to the north of York. This attractive village has a community hall, pub, Italian restaurant, ‘Good’ primary school and church. Ten minutes’ drive to the south of the property is Haxby with its supermarkets, shops, amenities and award-winning artisan bakery. Connections to the ring road provide rapid access to York’s shopping parks - Clifton Moor, Monks Cross and Vangarde - as well as to the A64, A1M and beyond. The City of York, its independent schools and railway station all lie within easy reach.
From York A1237 head north on the ‘Wigginton Road’ becoming ‘York Road’. Just beyond and opposite Grange Farm is the private drive to Sutton Barn, on the left and identified by a broad lawned verge flagged by clipped hedging. The drive is approximately one mile before Sutton on the Forest and some 200 metres before Goose Lane. Do not follow SatNav.
Hambleton District 01609 779977 www.hambleton.gov.uk
Mains water and electricity, private drainage. Oil fired central heating. LPG gas for cooking range and gas stove in the sitting room.
Photos and particulars dated January 2021