A glorious, Grade II* listed country residence with elegant proportions, wonderful accommodation and set in spectacular gardens and grounds. In all 20 acres
ACCOMMODATION AND AMENITIES
Ground Floor: reception hall, inner hall, magnificent drawing room, sitting room, dining room, library, living kitchen, study, utility room, catering kitchen and cloak rooms.
Lower Ground Floor: office, playroom, gun room, boot room, boiler room, wine room, extensive range of store rooms.
First Floor: galleried landing, master bedroom suite, 4 further bedrooms with en suite bathrooms.
Second Floor: 4 further bedrooms, 2 bathrooms.
Additional properties: within the east wing of the principal house are 2 self-contained apartments and a cottage providing substantial additional accommodation that could be used for dependent family, staff or incorporated back into the main body of the property.
There is a luxuriously appointed cottage within the coach house as well as a separate office.
The approach to the house is impressive to say the least. A sweeping driveway swings past The Church of St Mary and leads to a carriage drive that sits proudly in front of the property. This continues down to the coach house, garaging and stables.
The gardens are phenomenal with manicured lawns, well stocked herbaceous beds and borders, mature trees, lake and a beautiful, enclosed wall garden with summer house and outside kitchen and reception room. There are paddocks and woodland which all add to the undeniable elegance and charm that make Kirkby Hall such an incredible home.
Kirkby Hall is a Grade II* listed 18th-century country house which stands a mile to the north of the village. The property was bought in the 1720s by John Aislabie (1670–1742), MP for Ripon and Chancellor of the Exchequer, for his son William Aislabie, also MP for Ripon. The present house was built in the mid-1700s by William for his daughter, Ann Sophie, who had married William Lawrence. Subsequently, it was left (with property in Clint), by William's granddaughter, Miss Sophia Elizabeth Lawrence (1761–1845), to her second-cousin once-removed, Harry Edmund Waller III, JP, DL (1804–1869), a direct descendant of Edmund Waller, then to his son Edmund Waller VI (1828–1898), who sold it in 1889 to Edward Courage of the Courage brewing family. Since then much of the estate has been sold off. The hall has gone through several disguises including hotel and "country retreat". In 2003 the property was bought by the current owners and meticulously converted from a country hotel into a majestic private house.
Kirkby Hall is one of North Yorkshire’s most impressive country houses and private residences. Listed Grade II* the property has an abundance of character and charm dating back to its origins and such examples of this include the beautiful fireplaces and surrounds, the incredible staircase and the ceiling cornices and friezes.
Entering the property you immediately walk into the reception hall with grand cantilevered staircase which instantly stops you in your tracks and makes you absorb your surroundings. From the hall double doors lead into a magnificent drawing room which is over 46 feet in length and looks out over the beautifully kept garden and lake. The remaining reception rooms are all elegantly proportioned, face south and ideal for formal entertaining or simply enjoying as part of family life in this home. The living kitchen has substantial space to use as the day-to-day hub and with French doors opening out to the east terrace the sense of space is extended further. The lower ground floor is huge and offers flexible space as well as extensive storage.
The first floor is dominated by a galleried landing looking down on to the reception hall. There are five bedrooms suites on this floor with three of them having glorious south facing aspects looking out on the lake. The second floor has a further four bedrooms and two bathrooms.
Formed out of the east wing are three self-contained properties: a two bedroom ground floor apartment, a three bedroom first floor apartment and a one bedroom cottage. All three are additional to the main living space and provide excellent accommodation perfect for dependent family or staff. They are all currently let out. Vacant possession will be granted on legal completion if required.
The Coach House is recently constructed in stone in a Classical eighteenth century style sympathetic to the principal house, and is discreetly set in the grounds of Kirkby Hall.
It offers secure garaging for four luxury cars, open garaging/dry storage, separate stabling comprising four loose boxes and a yard.
On the first floor is an office overlooking the lake.
Within the Coach House is a two storey cottage with its own parking and outstanding views. Accessed via an external staircase this beautifully appointed one bedroom cottage has an open-plan kitchen/living space arrangement with exposed beams and wooden floors. Here the fully equipped kitchen has a central breakfast bar, electric hob and oven, dishwasher, fridge/freezer, microwave and coffee machine. On the second floor is the large bedroom and en suite shower room with a large walk-in shower.
There is planning permission for a further cottage in the stable/ coach house yard and potential for alternative uses, subject to obtain the necessary planning consents.
We have been advised that the four units (three apartments and the cottage) are currently used as holiday lets, and are achieving rental income between £100,000 and £150,000 per annum.
In addition, there are paddocks and stables for those that have equestrian interests. Off-street parking is available.
Part of the undeniable charm and beauty of Kirkby Hall is its setting and grounds. The gardens are formed by three prime areas. The banked lawn to the front which becomes a blanket of yellow in Spring when the daffodils bloom, the south facing formal lawn at the rear that meets the lake and then the circa one acre walled garden to the east which is a haven of colour, privacy and peace. In addition there are paddocks and woodland plus a run of stables for those that have equestrian interests.
Bedale 4 miles, Northallerton 10 miles, Richmond 10 miles, Thirsk 15 miles, Newcastle 35 miles, Leeds 50 miles, A1M 3 miles. (Distances approximate)
Kirkby Fleetham is a pretty North Yorkshire village that has a local pub, primary school and very good sense of community. It is well placed for access on to the A1 which connects north and south to a number of major cities and business centres all under an hours drive away. The local towns that serve the village for amenities and facilities are Richmond, Bedale and Northallerton.
Within a 30 minutes’ drive (max) are a number of highly regarded schools catering from ages 3 to 18.
The A1 m is 4 miles away. Teesside Airport 25 miles away and regular main line train connections are at Northallerton (6 miles) Darlington (20 miles) and Thirsk (15 miles).
Services: We are advised that the property has mains water and electric. The central heating is from an oil fired boiler and the drainage is a private system.
Local Authority: Hambleton District Council www.hambleton.gov.uk 01609 779977
Tenure: We are advised that the property is freehold and that vacant possession will be granted upon legal completion.
Directions: From the centre of Kirkby Fleetham follow the signs for The Church of St Mary. You will see the sign for the property and follow the drive way down.
Viewing: Strictly through the joint selling agents.