Charming period cottage with private garden, detached office and garage.
Entrance and staircase hall, kitchen/dining room, laundry, store, family snug, cloakroom, sitting room
Principal bedroom with en suite bathroom, 3 further double bedrooms, house bathroom
Office, garage, store, terrace, garden
The Cottage, Front Street, Naburn, York YO19 4RR
This is in many ways a perfect village house. Clad in wisteria, it sits at right angles to the quiet village street, overlooking its own, private gardens. Its eighteenth century roots bring character and individuality whilst the recent seamless extension brings both light and space, and connects the house to the lovely, sunny garden. Across the driveway there is a garage and the outbuildings have been skilfully converted into a smart home office.
• Detached house of nearly 2000 sq ft with the addition of a separate office
• Originally believed to be a gardener’s cottage for the nearby Naburn Hall, the older part of the house dates back 250 years, with a large extension added in 1999
• Beautifully renovated; decorated and maintained to an extremely high standard
• Faces south over its lovely garden
• Period features include original pine doors and exposed beams
• Newly fitted Accoya wood windows on southern elevation
• Jeremy Wood country kitchen with granite worktops, stone floor, traditional larder, custom-made seating area for family dining
• Magnificent sitting room of beautiful proportions with a Clearview multi-fuel stove within a sandstone mantel and hearth, sliding sash windows, solid oak flooring and French doors opening south on to the sunny terrace
• Family snug with bespoke shelving, multi-fuel stove
• Principal bedroom suite on the eastern wing of the house enjoying natural light and garden views
• Three further good sized and well proportioned bedrooms, beautifully styled and facing south
• Office with superfast 75mb fibre broadband
Timber gates – one for vehicles and one for pedestrians - open on to a gravel drive and parking area in front of the main entrance to the house. Here there is a single, brick-built garage with pantile roof and ample parking for up to four cars. A wooden pergola walkway with twining honeysuckle and rambling roses screens the parking area from the adjacent terrace and lawn. Gravel pathways, edged with a low brick wall and raised beds planted with shrubs, sweep past the garage and office to the garden beyond. The generous lawned area, edged with well stocked beds, lies to the south and east of the house. It is surrounded by a high hornbeam hedge and mellow brick wall, effectively screening it from the village neighbours. Accessed from the sitting room, the stone-flagged patio is sheltered and private, enjoying a perfect view of the garden.
City of York 4 miles, A64 2 miles, York Designer Outlet 3 miles, Leeds 20 miles, (Distances approximate)
The village of Naburn lies just south of York; a haven for boating enthusiasts it has a waterfront café bar, a pub, an ‘Outstanding’ primary school and it lies on a bus route. Front Street is a quiet lane that splits from the busier through road and runs parallel to the river Ouse giving access to the riverbank and Sailing Club. The nearby A64 trunk road provides rapid access to the A1M and beyond to Leeds.
Mains electricity and water, oil-fired central heating and hot water, propane gas hob
Fixtures and fittings
Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as curtains, light fittings, etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
City of York 01904 551550
Directions: Approaching Naburn from York Road, take the first right hand turn opposite the bus stop. One hundred metres along Front Street on the left hand side is The Cottage.
Photographs and particulars: Summer 2017 and October 2018
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.