Outstanding, detached Georgian village house with gardens, garage and parking, near Easingwold and Thirsk.
Entrance vestibule, staircase hall, drawing room, sitting room, dining room, kitchen breakfast room, utility room, rear hall, study/office, cellar
Principal bedroom with en suite bathroom, 5 further bedrooms (3 with en suite bathrooms), house bathroom
Garage, outbuildings, front and rear gardens
The Old Rectory, Thormanby, York, North Yorkshire YO61 4NN
This outstanding Grade II listed Georgian house was constructed in 1737 with further alterations made some fifty and one hundred years later. It is authentically ‘period’ and has retained many of its highly valued eighteenth and nineteenth century internal architectural features. The current owners have sympathetically modernised the house over the last fifteen years of their tenure, and now run it as a lifestyle business with significant parking provision.
• Detached, double fronted, Georgian family house with elegantly proportioned rooms
• Three reception rooms, six bedrooms, five bathrooms – in all some 4500 sq ft
• Many fine internal architectural features: bow windows and multi-pane Yorkshire sash windows, wooden shutters, imposing fireplaces, wide hardwood flooring and original quarry floor tiles, ornate ceiling cornicing, remarkable architraves and exposed ceiling beams and original staircase with graceful handrail.
• Modern, traditional-style, cast iron radiators throughout
• 45k Windhager Biomass boiler heating system, installed in March 2015. The installation is accredited and receives Government Non Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive payments until 2035.
• Large, family-friendly, country kitchen with a butler sink, wood-burning stove, integrated dishwasher and large, adjoining utility room/pantry
• Large and functional utility room adjoining the kitchen
• Formerly a schoolroom dating from 1786, the impressive 25 ft drawing room has a large working fireplace with fender and overlooks the garden
• Dining and sitting rooms both have glorious Georgian bow windows with shutters
• High specification, contemporary bathrooms fitted some three years’ ago, two of which have underfloor heating
• Distinguished bedrooms, four with high quality, en suite bathrooms
• Private parking for six cars and a single garage
• Convenient hill-top village location near the market towns of Easingwold and Thirsk with easy access to York and the A1
• In the midst of exceptionally beautiful countryside – a recent survey ranked the Hambleton Hills as one of the UK’s best places to live in terms of quality of life
The house is set back from the road behind a formal front garden, lined with a box hedge. The rear garden enjoys a southerly orientation and is predominantly lawned, with a patio and plants, shrubs and small trees alongside the perimeter fence. There is a log store and a path that leads from the back door to the rear parking area. Here is a garage and parking for six cars, all accessed via Church Lane. A detached outbuilding sits immediately behind the house on the north western boundary of the property. Although in disrepair, it does offer the potential for conversion to a small annexe, with planning consents.
Easingwold 4 miles, Thirsk 6 miles, A1 10 miles, Northallerton 14 miles, York 16 miles, Leeds 40 miles. (Distances approximate)
The property is located in the heart of the small hill-top village of Thormanby that lies between York and Thirsk, on the main village street formerly known as the Great North Road. The village itself has a twelfth century church and adjoins the glorious countryside of the Hambleton and Howardian Hills, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty neighbouring the North York Moors. Tempting footpaths lie behind the property where there is a local viewing point of the famous White Horse on Sutton Bank.
Thormanby is immensely convenient for commuters, giving rapid access to a choice of thriving North Yorkshire market towns, the A1 and the cities of York and Leeds. There is a mainline railway station in Thirsk with direct links to London Kings Cross.
Services: All mains services
Fixtures & fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local authority: Hambleton District Council 01609 779977
Directions: From York take the A19 York Road and on entering the village of Thormanby proceed up the hill and the property can be found on the right hand side. Church Lane precedes the property and leads to the parking at the rear.
Photographs: 2017 & 2018
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.