Magnificent Grade I listed country house and outbuildings in need of renovation.
FINAL OPEN VIEWING, TUESDAY 19TH NOVEMBER, 11 - 12 NOON - please call the office to make an appointment.
Selby 5 miles, Howden 9 miles, York 20 miles, Doncaster 23 miles, Leeds 29 miles, Leeds Bradford Airport 39 miles, Hull 33 miles. (Distances approximate)
Hall, 4 reception rooms, kitchen breakfast room with pantry and stores, cloakroom, galleried landing, 10 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms (4 en suite)
Mature gardens, outdoor swimming pool, tennis court, substantial buildings
In all some 2.4 acres
Up to approximately 30 acres of land available by separate negotiation
Camblesforth Hall, Brigg Lane, Camblesforth, Selby, North Yorkshire YO8 8HJ
The sale of Cambleforth Hall offers a rare opportunity to renovate an important William & Mary country house. Dating from the 1690s in virtually unaltered condition, the principal rooms to the ground and first floors retain handsome original panelling from the greatest period of English craftsmanship. Ascribed by English Heritage and Pevsner to John Etty, who was the leading craftsman/architect of his day, Camblesforth Hall is an eminent example of one of the finest North Yorkshire country houses of the late 17th century.
• Substantial detached house of nearly 10,000 sq ft arranged over three floors
• Grade I listed
• Impressive features including elegant room proportions, imposing ceiling heights, flagged and wooden floors, wooden panelling, ornate plasterwork, original fireplaces and a distinguished principal staircase
• Superb orientation - all principal rooms look south over the gardens
• The grand entrance hall retains its original stone floor laid to a pattern of hexagons, squares and octagons.
• The kitchen breakfast room has a tiled floor, large pantry and utility room.
• Fine oak staircase lit by a 44-pane arched, sash window; notable back staircase for staff
• The master bedroom enjoys dual aspect over the gardens and boasts an ornate cornice and ceiling rose, elaborate fireplace and panelling
• The second floor lends itself well to being a separate children’s annexe with five bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen.
• Outbuildings provide potential for further development
Camblesforth Hall is approached via a private driveway leading to a gravel parking and turning area. To the south and east of the property is the formal garden predominantly laid to lawn with mature trees. Beyond is a substantial walled garden which accommodates a swimming pool and tennis court and is bounded by well stocked borders.
A range of outbuildings creates a courtyard that includes stables and a dovecote. To the west are traditional estate buildings with lapsed planning permission to create fourteen dwellings and accompanying garages.
Camblesforth is a small, rural village situated to the south east of Selby and York. In the village is a range of amenities including a public house and primary school. Well placed for access to the M62 motorway, which gives access to Hull, Leeds and further afield, it is a favoured location for commuters. There are excellent rail connections to London Kings Cross from Selby, Howden, Doncaster and York, and Leeds Bradford Airport lies some 40 miles away.
Services: We are advised that the property has mains water and electricity. The central heating is via a gas fired boiler. The drainage system is private.
Local Authority: Selby District Council 01757 705101
Directions: Travelling on the A63 south of Selby take the A1041 in the direction of Camblesforth. Proceed in to the village and at the sharp bend turn left on to the A645. Go past the play park on the right and directly in front of the Methodist Chapel turn left. The property is then on the left hand side.
Photographs and particulars: 2017 and 2019
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.