An exceptionally high tech country house in an extraordinarily beautiful setting
Main entrance and reception hall, kitchen breakfast room, 36 ft reception room with dining area, study, wc/cloakroom, glazed hall providing garden access to front and back.
Butler’s kitchen, larder, laundry room, drying room, gun room, rear lobby, wc, log store
4 bedrooms all with en suite bathrooms or shower rooms.
Cinema room and cocktail bar, gym, lobby, wine cellar
Self-contained area with bedroom, en suite shower room, kitchenette
Triple garage, gardens and grounds, paddock
In all some 2.85 acres
Highwood House, Moor Lane, Gilling East, North Yorkshire YO62 4HR
Few country houses enjoy such a lovely setting as Highwood House, standing as it does in the centre of its own gardens and grounds surrounded by the unspoilt rolling countryside of the Howardian Hills. Every possible step was evidently taken during its construction to create a family house of high end design, luxury and cutting edge technology. Of note is the superb lower ground space, fully air conditioned with its cinema room, cocktail bar and gym/treatment room all fed by an integrated audiovisual system.
• Constructed in 2010, this house enjoys high tech specifications throughout: ventilation system, underfloor heating (zoned), audio/visual systems, sound insulation, CAT 5 network, HDMI Matrix units, VIDEX automated gates, ADT alarm system, mobile and remote CCTV system with infra-red night vision
• Air conditioning to larder, cinema room and gym/treatment room. The wine cellar is air conditioned and humidity controlled.
• Top quality fittings throughout include: 88 picture lights, Chesney fireplaces, hand-made fitted furniture, solid mahogany doors, Villeroy & Boch bathroom suites, Hansgrohe showers and taps, Bisque electric towel radiators, Crema Alicante marble
• Fully fitted hand-made kitchen breakfast room and butler’s kitchen with double Belfast sink, granite worktops, gas and induction hob, two Siemens under-counter freezers
• Abundant loft storage space
• Three car garage with Silvelox garage doors and a porcelain tiled floor. With Belfast sink and storage.
• Tremendous views reaching far into the distance encompassing the beauty of the Howardian Hills
Cast-iron gates lead to a gravelled drive providing access to the garage block and to an area of stone flag paving that flanks the front of the house. Here, box hedge borders are planted with elegant topiary and a row of lavender runs alongside a low stone wall providing an elegant frontage. Beyond, a large paddock sweeps gently downwards with views beyond. The principal garden lies to the rear and side of the house. Beautifully designed in a formal style and imaginatively planted with mature trees sourced from Spain, Italy and the Netherlands, this garden is resplendent in all seasons and at all time of year. There is garden lighting and a large Italian marble antique fountain with surrounding pool is the centrepiece.
Approx 2.85 acres
Helmsley 6 miles, Malton 12 miles, York 18 miles. (Distances approximate)
Highwood House enjoys a tranquil edge of village position within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The pretty village of East Gilling lies on the B1363 road between York and Helmsley. It has many superb facilities including The Fairfax Arms pub, a village hall, playground, miniature railway, prep school and two churches. Ampleforth College lies close by and there are easy connections to the A1M, M1, A19 and Leeds Bradford Airport.
Services: Mains water, electricity, private drainage, oil central heating.
Fixtures & fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc. are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local authority: Ryedale District Council 01653 600666
Directions: from York take the B1267 towards Helmsley. Just before Gilling East you arrive at a triangle of grass with the name plate “Grimston”. Take this road and Highwood House can be found on the left hand side.
Photographs and particulars: June 2016
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.