Large and versatile family house with a garden and paddock. Also ideal for multiple generation living or as a business with separate guest accommodation. York is a ten minute drive away.
Kitchen dining room, 2 reception rooms, utility room, 8 bedrooms (5 en suite bathrooms), house bathroom
Garage, ample parking for several vehicles
In all some 2.5 acres
Claxton Hall Cottage, Malton Road, York YO60 7RE
This pretty 19th century property was significantly extended some thirty years ago to create a large house of some 3800 sq ft. Its versatility is immediately apparent: the southern part of the house has two reception rooms, five en suite bedrooms and its own entrance; the northern part, also with its own entrance, has a 28ft living room, three bedrooms, bathroom and integral garage. The two are linked by an impressive, vaulted kitchen dining room.
Situated ten minutes’ drive from the historic City of York, Claxton Hall Cottage enjoys a peaceful setting within two and a half acres, without an immediate neighbour and overlooking open countryside.
• Large and spacious house of 3757 sq ft with 8 bedrooms and 4 reception rooms
• Versatile accommodation – currently divided into owner and guest accommodation, but could easily become a single dwelling or reinstated as two cottages (subject to consents)
• Southern part currently used as a successful bed & breakfast business with separate access from the main residence
• Large, contemporary kitchen dining room at the heart of the home with wood burning stove and bi-fold doors opening on to the terrace and gardens
• Lovely features throughout – exposed beams, exposed brickwork, lovely old fireplaces housing wood burning stoves
• Enjoys a private position conveniently placed for access to York and Leeds
To the front is a gravelled drive with parking and an integral garage. The lovely gardens on the western elevation are mostly laid to lawn with mature trees, shrubs and a terrace enjoyed from the kitchen dining room. Across the lane is a fenced paddock of about 1¾ acres, with mature trees on its circumference.
York 7 miles, Vangarde Shopping Park and John Lewis 5 miles, Leeds 32 miles, Malton 10 miles, Yorkshire coast 32 miles (distances approximate)
The property is situated down a private country lane, just off the A64, a trunk road that gives rapid access to the A1 (22 miles) and the wider motorway network. The historic city of York lies within a ten minute drive to the west and Leeds can be reached in three quarters of an hour. York railway station provides a regular service to London Kings Cross in under two hours.
Services: Mains water and electricity, LPG gas, oil fired central heating, private drainage
Fixtures & fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local authority: City of York 01904 551550
Directions: Heading north east on the A64 from York, the private lane is found 4 miles from the Hopgrove Roundabout, on the left hand side, one mile beyond Neptune and as denoted by our For Sale board. The property is first property you come to on the left.
Photographs and particulars: Summer 2018 and 2019
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.