Large Edwardian house on village green - glorious setting with gardens, stabling, paddock, field, woodland, beck - all set in 6 acres. Near York.
Vestibule, staircase hall, drawing room, dining room, snug, rear hall and back stairs, study, kitchen breakfast room, pantry, boot room, wc, cloakroom
Principal bedroom, adjoining bathroom, guest bedroom with en suite shower room,3 further bedrooms, house bathroom, separate wc
Second floor annexe: sitting room, kitchen, bathroom, 2 bedrooms, storage rooms
Attached store and tack room
Detached outbuilding: double garage, 2 stables, log store
Gardens, summerhouse and terrace, woodland, paddocks, ample parking
In all some 6 acres
Savage Garth, The Green, Nun Monkton, York YO26 8ER
Overlooking the green with its pond and maypole, Savage Garth enjoys a delightful setting in the heart of this most iconic of Yorkshire villages. Built in 1901 by the Estate owners of the time, the Crawhall family, this much loved house has remained in the hands of the same family for many decades.
· Large, detached and versatile family house of 5211 sq ft
· 4 reception rooms, 7 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms
· Many architectural features from the turn of the 19th century including elegant room proportions, high ceilings, fireplaces, plasterwork, panelling and floor tiles
· Commanding central staircase and large hallway with inner hall beyond
· Magnificent drawing room of lovely proportions with a fireplace and bay window facing south on to village green
· Glorious dining room with windows facing south and west, and door opening onto the sunny front garden
· Kitchen breakfast room with morning window, oil fired AGA, and large utility room giving rear access to outbuildings and stabling
· Breathtakingly beautiful gardens and grounds that have been lovingly maintained by the current owners
· Perfect for horse lovers: stabling, outbuildings, small paddock, field with dew pond and separate agricultural access
Beyond the timber gates, a drive sweeps past the attractive front garden and eastern main entrance to the house passing a strip of wildflower meadow, tree-lined and underplanted with an array of Spring bulbs. Beyond lies the garaging, stabling and outbuildings with a large turning and parking area. The gardens, grounds, woodland, paddock and field lie predominantly to the rear of the house. A timber summer house and stone terrace overlooks a beautifully maintained, formal area of lawn with sculpted borders and flower beds, bounded by a high beech hedge and a magnificent copper beech tree to the north. Beyond lies the fenced off kitchen garden and orchard. A timber bridge over the winding beck leads to the magical area of protected, coppiced woodland (approx one acre) with field (approx two acres) beyond, fenced with a dew pond
Approx 6 acres (as appropriate)
York 8 miles, Boroughbridge 9 miles, Harrogate 12 miles, Leeds 19 miles, A1 5 miles (Distances approximate)
Nun Monkton, with its maypole, duck pond and primary school, seems to embody all that is expected of the traditional English village. Groups of pretty, period houses front a broad 18 acre green, or stray: there is a church and an excellent pub and riverside dog walks. This peaceful setting exists midway between York and Harrogate (off the A59), with easy access to both city and towns, as well as to Leeds a little way down the nearby A1.
Services: Mains water, electricity and drainage, oil fired central heating.
Fixtures & fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local authority: Harrogate Borough Council 01423 500 600
Directions: From the A59 take the Nun Monkton (only) turning and continue into the heart of the village. With the Alice Hawthorne Inn on your right, turn left along a small side road and you will see Savage Garth facing you.
Photographs and particulars: February 2018
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation. See www.blenkinandco.com for more photographs of this property.