Captivating three/four bedroom Victorian town house just a short stroll from York Railway station.
Entrance and staircase hall, kitchen breakfast room, utility room, cloakroom/wc, 3 reception rooms, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
Inner courtyard garden
47 Holgate Road, York YO24 4AA
This splendid end of terrace town house faces directly on to St Catherine’s Place at right angles to the bustle of Holgate Road. Dating from 1860 the character and charm of No. 47 have flourished under the tenure of the current owners who, in recent years, have creatively remodelled and renovated this fine Victorian property. No detail has been spared and all adjustments have been carried out with great consideration given to the age and provenance of the original building. Innovative touches abound, none more so than the formation of the sheltered inner courtyard garden which links multiple inside and outside spaces through its threefold access. No. 47 Holgate Road is a rare find.
• Town house of 2125 sq ft arranged over three floors with a courtyard garden
• Versatile living space; could easily be a four bedroom family house
• Period architectural features include: staircase with polished handrail, original cupboards, deep skirting, floorboards, Victorian quarry tiles; ornate bedroom fireplaces and moulded curved corner on the north east elevation
• High end fittings include: contemporary cast-iron radiators, full board split shutters; bespoke Conservation sash windows; oak floorboards, Sisal laid in the hall, landing and staircase; two reclaimed working fireplaces, recently lined; Velux windows with blackout blinds in the second floor bedrooms; contemporary bathrooms
• Bespoke, handmade kitchen with wood reclaimed from science laboratory worktops, Rangemaster cooker, Victorian corner cupboard, large kitchen island with electrics and plumbing for dishwasher and one-and-a-half ceramic Butler sink from Villeroy & Boch, quarry tile flooring and ample space for dining
• Separate but adjoining utility area complements the kitchen, has a Neptune Larder Cupboard, single ceramic Butler sink and bespoke stacked cupboard holding the washing machine and dryer
• Magnificent family room with raised pitched roof, oak flooring, smokeless multi-fuel stove, Velux windows and bi-fold doors fully opening to inner courtyard
• Paved inner courtyard creating delightful outside space with plentiful natural light - accessed from the kitchen, utility and family room
• First floor sitting room with original stripped floorboards, superb working fire, custom moulded cornicing, fitted book shelves bought from the French House and originating from Ampleforth College, and a fine outlook along a Victorian streetscape
• En suite bathroom with underflooring heating, heated towel rail and mirror, bath with hand-made curved panelling and a deep, bespoke wardrobe
• Contemporary family wet room with heated mirror
• This house is full of natural light, aided by three new Conservation Velux windows and a central lightwell on the top floor landing.
• Ample storage throughout includes deep, lit storage in the eaves behind sliding doors
York Railway station 0.4 miles, Leeds 23 miles. (Distances approximate)
The property enjoys an ideal central city location within close proximity of a range of local shops and amenities including the Everyman Cinema, only a short stroll from Micklegate Bar and the city walls, and a five minute walk from the mainline railway station. York Railway station provides a regular service to London Kings Cross in less than two hours. Holgate Road itself is well situated for rapid vehicular access to the A64 and beyond to Leeds.
Services: All mains services. Gas fired central heating
Fixtures & fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local authority: City of York Council 01904
Directions: heading on yo Holgate Road/A59 from York city centre/A1036, No. 47 can be found some 100 yards down on the right hand side, on the junction with St Catherine’s Place.
Photographs and particulars: February 2020
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.