Delightful Regency townhouse with lovely gardens, in York’s prettiest street.
Entrance and staircase hall, kitchen and family room/dining room, wc, rear entrance hall, drawing room
4 bedrooms, office/5th bedroom, bathroom, shower room
Front garden, courtyard garden, bike shed, main garden, store shed
9 Mount Parade, York YO24 4AP
One of the city’s hidden pleasures, quietly concealed from the noise and bustle of The Mount and Tadcaster Road, Mount Parade is an exquisitely lovely terrace of early 19th century houses set smartly behind front gardens with cast iron railings. No. 9 is one of the largest houses on the street and is arranged over four floors and has been designed to accommodate a family with a large, open plan kitchen living room, plenty of storage and glorious gardens. Sympathetically restored and modernised some five years ago by the current owners, this undoubtedly is an outstanding York townhouse.
• Constructed in 1829 and Grade II Listed
• 2250 sq ft with 3 reception rooms, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, office/5th bedroom
• Includes wonderful features of the Regency period such as high ceilings and elegantly proportioned rooms, fine plasterwork, original architrave, four original fireplaces and sash windows
• 34 ft open plan kitchen/dining/family room with well-designed, modern kitchen units, large storage cupboards, engineered wood flooring, and French doors opening straight on to the rear courtyard garden/BBQ area
• Lovely drawing room with marble mantelpiece/Charnwood log burning stove and a large sash window facing south over the garden
• Magnificent principal bedroom with two south-facing sash windows and an original cast-iron bedroom fireplace
• Lovely rooftop views of York and York Minster from the upper floors
• House bathroom with a romantic Taj Mahal mural
• Glorious garden, uncommonly large for a York townhouse
• Just a few minutes’ walk to the railway station
Mount Parade is a slight and leafy residential road providing access to the houses that lie along this 18th century terrace. No. 9 has a charming front garden set behind a low wall and wrought iron railings. Behind the house – and accessed from the kitchen - is a pretty, walled courtyard garden with flagstones and a secure bike shed, well screened and ideal for al fresco dining. A door leads to a back lane, giving rear access to the railway station and river beyond.
The main stretch of private garden is probably the centrepiece of the property. It is overlooked by the house and lies just across Mount Parade, accessed by a wooden gate. Some 60ft in length and beautifully landscaped it stretches in a southerly direction, with a high hedge on the easterly elevation and a raised, sheltered terrace at the far boundary, making a perfect spot for summer dining. Alongside is a store/shed and children’s summer house. Predominantly laid to lawn, the garden is like a series of rooms, each flanked by shrubs, small trees, shaped flower beds and colourful plantings.
York railway station ¼ mile, York Minster 1 mile, Leeds 25 miles. (Distances approximate)
Mount Parade enjoys a most convenient city location, quietly located just south of the city walls and Micklegate Bar. The railway station and central York can easily be reached on foot and The Knavesmire, with its wide open spaces and organised Park Run, lies a short walk to the north.
Services: All mains services connected.
Fixtures & fittings: Items mentioned in these particulars are included. Others may be made available separately.
Local authority: City of York 01904 551550
Photographs and particulars: June 2018
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.