Exceptional property - fabulous house with separate studio, walled garden, land and panoramic views over the Vale of York
Lobby, entrance and staircase hall, store room, wc, drawing room, sitting room, living room, dining room, kitchen breakfast room, utility room, pantry, boot room, rear entrance hall. Wine cellar.
Principal bedroom suite with dressing room and bathroom, 2 further bedrooms, house bathroom, storage room
Studio with open plan living/dining/kitchen, shower room/wc
Drive, ample parking, triple garage, store, outbuilding
Walled garden, garden, grounds, paddock
Approximately 3 acres
Foxwood Lodge, Millington, York YO42 1UB
Built in 1998 to meet the very high standards of the property’s only owners, Foxwood Lodge is a property with echoes of a fortified residence deep-rooted in the landscape. Sitting on the high Wolds with breath-taking views across the Vale of York, this handsome house has been constructed and designed to impress at every level.
• Solid oak windows, internal doors and magnificent staircase, deep sills and beautiful timber floors
• Underfloor heating on the ground floor
• Many attractive, working fireplaces with marble and stone mantels, and decorative inserts and grates; a multi-fuel stove in the drawing room
• Wall lights and picture lights
• Grand staircase with half landing
• Custom-made wooden kitchen with black granite worktops, butler sink, Dark Blue Aga with rustic beam over. Utility room and pantry alongside.
• Drawing room with custom-made window seats in the bay, overlooking the courtyard garden
• Impressive principal bedroom suite with dressing room and bathroom. The 26ft bedroom has south and west facing views across the Vale of York, working fireplace.
• Custom made and fully air-conditioned wine cellar
• Garage block with electric doors for 3 cars, and significant additional storage alongside
• Self-contained studio suite over the garage with outside staircase and separate access.
• Beautiful parterre walled garden
• Glorious and far-reaching views from all south west facing windows
Beyond the first timber gates, a tree-lined drive with a large lawned area to one side leads to the garaging and forecourt. Beyond are further stout timber gates within a high brick wall that lead to the large gravel turning area at the front entrance to the house. To the south west elevation is an area of garden that includes an elevated terrace with steps leading down to a stone fountain, accessed from the sitting room with an area of lawn to the west. This garden is bounded by a post and rail fence beyond which lie open fields, woodland, a stand of birch trees and, beyond, the Vale of York with York Minster in the far distance. A high hedge lies on the western boundary of the property, with young hardwood trees provide further screening. The formal, parterre walled garden is a courtyard garden, entirely private, overlooked by most rooms within the house. A brick loggia with pantile roof runs along the western corner linking the house to the annexe and garaging. There is a central stone fountain, timber gates on the eastern corner, gravel paths lined with box hedging, small shrubs, lavender roses and acers.
Approximately one acre
Pocklington 4 miles, York 15 miles, Leeds 40 miles. (Distances approximate)
Some 750 ft above sea level, Foxwood Lodge is one of the highest properties in the Vale of York. It sits above Great Givendale just north of the village of Millington, with two neighbouring properties, one a large country estate. From this high ridge on the Wolds, the property faces the Vale of York with the Minster in the far distance. Nearby, the thriving market town of Pocklington offers many fine amenities including an Arts Centre and private schooling; and within easy driving distance is the City of York. The York ring road links to the A1M and the conurbations of Yorkshire and beyond.
Services: Mains electric, oil fired heating and private drainage
Fixtures & fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local authority: East Riding of Yorkshire
Directions: From the A166 road from York head through Stamford Bridge. At the top of Garrowby Hill, made famous by David Hockney, turn right signposted ‘Millington 4 Pocklington 6’. After a mile or so down the single track lane, turn right at the junction and you will immediately see a drive on your right behind a post and rail fence. Bear to the left and follow the private drive signed Foxwood Lodge at the first set of gates.
Photographs and particulars: July 2018
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.