Outstanding, timber-framed building dating from 15th century.
OPEN VIEWINGS - WEDNESDAY 8TH AUGUST 5.30-6.30PM - THURSDAY 9TH AUGUST 12- 1PM
Ground floor: kitchen breakfast room, shower room/wc
First floor: large single room, bedroom and living area
Gravel entrance drive through large timber gates, rented gardens and grounds
The Old Gatehouse, Bolton Percy, York, North Yorkshire YO23 7AL
The Old Gatehouse has been sensitively and successfully converted into a holiday cottage, having been restored by the Vivat Trust in 2010. The restoration took place in close consultation with English Heritage and was a spend of circa £200,000. It reportedly covered a new roof, new windows, staircase, kitchen and bathroom.
The Old Gatehouse originally formed the defensive entrance to the village rectory and a courtyard of medieval buildings. The rectory and outbuildings were rebuilt in 1698 and then demolished in the 19th century, but the gatehouse escaped intact. The historic house now includes a kitchen, bathroom, a bedroom suite and a sitting and dining area. It also has its own private garden. (Held on long lease)
The Gatehouse is discreetly situated within a well wooded area, well screened from the village lane and neighbouring the 15th century church that stands sentinel to the east.
• Rare building and Scheduled Historic Monument dating from the Middle Ages
• Highly desirable holiday cottage
• Grade II* listed
• Good income-generating potential
• Completely restored in recent years
• Huge potential to add value
• Super village location, close to village pub
• The Old Gatehouse currently has planning as a holiday let; changing its status to full residential should be a fairly straightforward planning procedure, subject to planning.
• There is an agreement between the previous owners (The Vivat Trust) and Historic England that has approximately two years to run. It precludes any lending on the building and the owner’s need to open the house to the public (to be agreed with HE). This, however, shouldn't hinder or impinge on the use of the building.
• An ongoing maintenance schedule is provided for the next two years.
• A recent onsite meeting with Historic England raised the possibility of re-instating the lost wing to the south east of the building. The consensus was that an oak-framed modern extension would be respectful to the original frame. This could add another reception room and a further bedroom/bathroom, subject to planning.
• The garden/land to the rear is on a 46 year lease from the owner of The Old Rectory next door (currently under The Vivat trust name).
• The access and land to the front is classed as ‘no man’s land’; unencumbered access has been given for the past 550 years and so the current owners have an insurance policy to protect this access.
York 9 miles, Leeds 19 miles, A1 7 miles, Tadcaster 4 miles. (Distances approximate)
Bolton Percy is an historic village listed in the Domesday survey. It remains a popular village some nine miles south west of York. There is a pub, medieval church, village hall, Post Office and thriving cricket club. Nearby Tadcaster has extensive local facilities. The village benefits from its proximity to the A64 and A1/M1 link, offering easy access to Leeds and the motorway network.
Contents and fixtures
All items mentioned in these particulars of sale are included. Furniture (apart from personal items), curtains and fitted carpets, garden statuary and other items are specifically excluded though may be available by separate negotiation
Mains water, electricity and drainage is provided to the property
Selby District Council in North Yorkshire: 01757 705101
The Old Gatehouse lies at the western edge of the village. In between the pub and the Church
All viewings will be conducted strictly by appointment with the vendors’ sole agents.