House on an impressive scale with gardens, grounds and a massive outbuilding, close to York.
Entrance, staircase and reception hall, kitchen breakfast room, utility room, rear porch, dining room, drawing room, games room, sitting room, study, office, secondary hall, swimming pool room, gymnasium, changing/shower room, cloakroom, plant room, boiler house.
Master bedroom suite with dressing room, bathroom, wet room with sauna. 3 further bedrooms, shower room, bathroom, library
Integrated triple garage, parking for multiple cars, enormous detached outbuilding, all-weather tennis court, well wooded garden and grounds
In all some 2 acres.
Northgate Lodge, Northgate Lane, Warthill, York YO19 5XR
There are only a handful of residential properties of this size and scope that enjoy such a convenient, accessible location. Even fewer sit in extensive grounds that are well screened and provide significant privacy. Northgate Lodge is an exceptional property, with a further asset being the immense, detached outbuilding that can be utilised in a number of ways. Set back from a quiet country lane, Northgate Lodge’s rural situation belies its proximity to York and quick access to the trunk roads heading south and west. York is only a ten minute drive and the A1M is less than half an hour away.
• Nearly 8000 sq ft of internal accommodation, arranged over 2 floors
• 5 reception rooms, 4 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms
• This is a house made for entertaining with large, well-proportioned reception rooms, a games room and swimming pool room at its heart
• Some good architectural and interior detail: bespoke joinery, anthracite radiators, decorative coving, double doors between the main rooms, bay windows, timber flooring
• Fully integrated Charles York kitchen fitted by Smith Brothers with kitchen island, granite worktops and Range. Adjacent is a co-ordinated utility room.
• Dining room with double doors facing west to the terrace and gardens
• Enormous drawing room with corner cocktail bar, electric fire, and double
• Swimming pool room of nearly 30ft glazed to one side, overlooking the gardens and with multiple access points to the reception areas
• doors to swimming pool room
• Games room with snooker table available by separate negotiation
• Adjoining sitting room and study, both with flame effect gas fires and south facing bay window
• Hugely impressive master bedroom suite incorporating the entire eastern wing of the first floor: there are custom-made cupboards to the bedroom and wall-to-wall fitted cupboards in the dressing room; there is a wet room with jacuzzi, and a bathroom with Corian Jack & Jill sinks and countertops
• First floor library with fitted shelves made of Canadian Walnut, gas fire
• Integrated garaging for 3 cars, with boiler house and plant room
• Imposing gardens and grounds with tennis court
Electric, wrought iron, security gates open on to a carriage driveway that heads past the front lawned garden trimmed with clipped yew bushes. Here there is ample parking and a turning area in front of the house as well as a triple garage integrated with the house. The drive continues around the circumference of the property, framed by conifers and laurel, leading to the large outbuilding at the rear.
The garden itself is surrounded by a statuesque leylandii hedge bordered by colourful shrubs and perennials. Large swathes of the garden are laid to lawn, the main area lying to the north of the house. This manicured, shaped lawn is orbited by a path bounded by a low wall and box hedging that provides a pleasant walkway across the garden from east to west. The whole is screened from its neighbours and there are stands of mature trees and a copse on the eastern boundary. A separate, walled and hedged kitchen garden lies alongside the outbuilding. There is also small pond, two greenhouses and an all-weather tennis court in need of some restoration. On the western boundary is a patio with decorative stone balustrade, accessed from the dining room.
The large, well designed outbuilding lies to the rear of the land, accessed by a drive. It has power, light, plumbing and enjoys natural light through many Velux windows. It is divided into three large rooms and two smaller, all linked, with a main entrance through high up & over doors, and a rear exit. Although barely complete this is a high quality depot that would be ideal for business use (subject to planning), as a workshop or large scale storage.
In all some 2 acres.
York city centre 6 miles, A64 ring road 4 miles, John Lewis 5 miles, Leeds 30 miles. (Distances approx.)
The village of Warthill lies to the north east of York easily approached from both the A64 and A166. Now one of York’s most sought after villages, it has a church, pub and Ofsted ‘Outstanding’ primary school, and lies close to The Balloon Tree farmshop/cafe. Monks Cross and the Vangarde Shopping Centre are a ten minute drive away, and the nearby A64 carries traffic swiftly to the A1, Leeds and West Yorkshire. Northgate Lodge lies in the catchment of Huntington School, and a bus service is available to the independent Pocklington School.
Services: Mains water, electricity and gas, private drainage.
Fixtures & Fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local Authority: City of York Council 01904 551550.
Directions: Before Warthill there is a triangle with a left turn signposted Stamford Bridge and Gate Helmsley. This is Northgate Lane. Northgate Lodge is on the left hand side.
Overage: There is an overage clause in favour of the current owners. An interest of 25% is retained over 50 years. For more details please call 01904 671672
Photographs and particulars: September 2018.
NB: Google map images may be neither current nor a true representation.