Stand-our Georgian village house with superb interiors, glorious gardens and a paddock. Further land available by separate negotiation.
Entrance vestibule, staircase hall, 4 reception rooms, kitchen, utility room, cloakroom wc, rear hall
Bedroom with en suite bathroom and dressing room, guest bedroom suite, 3 further bedrooms, study, house bathroom
3 store rooms, double carport
Front garden, rear gardens, orchard, summerhouse, paddock
In all some 5 acres
An additional 23 acres available by separate negotiation
Woodholme Farm, Aldwark, Alne York YO61 1UB
Rarely does a Georgian village house set in 5 acres become available for sale on the open market, particularly one located in the much sought-after area that lies between Easingwold and York. Woodholme Farm will tick the boxes for many discerning buyers: the house has been restored and sympathetically extended; the extensive gardens have been expertly landscaped, there is a paddock lined with trees and a beck, a carport and plentiful storage. All this is found in the heart of a very attractive village protected for future generations through its Conservation Area status.
• Detached, double fronted house of more than 3500 sq ft, arranged over three floors
• Period features include the original bread oven, exposed ceiling joists and timbers, some lovely working fireplaces, Yorkshire sliding sash windows
• A recent extension skilfully recreates a traditional barn conversion. This dramatic room has a full height vaulted ceiling, vast arched window, multi-fuel stove, underfloor heating and double doors onto the terrace
• The kitchen with modern painted units, granite work surfaces, double butler sink and oil-fired Aga faces south over the garden and is semi-open plan to the dining room
• The front rooms both face south, have decorative cast iron fire places and window seats. The dining room has solid wood floorboards
• Fabulous master bedroom suite with large bathroom and dressing room
• Well-proportioned bedrooms; the two on the second floor have vaulted ceilings
• Wonderful stone terrace overlooking the gardens and perfect for al fresco dining
The house and front garden are well screened behind a brick wall and high yew hedge. A garden gate opens on to a gravel path that leads up to the front door with a formal box hedge knot garden on either side. Stout timber gates on the western boundary open on to a gravel drive that leads past outbuildings to the timber-framed double carport, attached store, and parking and turning area. A large stone terrace (totalling approx. 250 sq m) skirts the rear of the house, and the gardens and land lie immediately behind. The gardens are beautifully landscaped. Formal, clipped box hedging has been shaped into sweeping contours providing edging for an array of mature shrubs, flower beds and ornamental trees. In between are grass walkways and expanses of lawn. The young orchard with plum, pear and apple trees is partitioned off on the far western boundary. On the eastern boundary lies the kitchen garden with raised beds. At the rear, a five bar gates allows access across the beck (which skirts the garden) into the paddock. The 3.5 acre paddock lies behind, bounded by timber fencing. The current owners have planted 110 trees along the paddock boundaries. An additional 23 acres of neighbouring land is available by separate negotiation.
Garden and grounds approx. 1.5 acres, paddock 3.5 acres.
Easingwold 7 miles, York 12 miles, Harrogate 16 miles. (Distances approximate)
Aldwark is a pretty, rural village bordering the River Ouse and known for its strong sense of community. There is a pub, a church, a bus service and Aldwark Manor Golf Club and Spa Hotel with its swimming pool and gym all set within 120 acres of parkland. The nearby toll bridge provides a route over to Great Ouseburn and Harrogate. The village is popular with commuters and families in part due to the excellent schools in Alne and Easingwold. Nearby independent schools are Cundall Manor and Queen Ethelburga’s. There is an award-winning shop and post office three miles away in Tollerton, and the popular Georgian market town of Easingwold provides a wide range of shops and services.
Services: Mains water, electric and drainage, oil tank in garden. Oil central heating.
Fixtures & fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, fridges, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local authority: Hambleton District Council 01609 779977
Directions: Entering the village from the A19 the property can be found on the right hand side on the first bend, as denoted by the For Sale board.
Photographs and particulars: October 2018
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.