Charming detached period cottage with glorious garden, situated between York and Malton.
Porch, kitchen/dining room, utility cupboard, sitting room, garden room, staircase hall, 2 bedrooms, house bathroom
Front and rear south facing gardens, large stone terrace
Parking for 3 cars
Beck Cottage, Beck Lane, Leavening, York YO17 SG
This charming cottage is remarkable for having a large garden that rises gently upwards to meet the Wolds countryside. Tucked away down an enchanting country lane, Beck Cottage enjoys an elevated position overlooking a bank of spring flowers and a tumbling beck. Built of stone some time in the 1700s, it was later extended in mellow brick and the long history of the property is apparent throughout. Its orientation couldn’t be better: the outlook from the garden room, sitting room and principal bedroom embraces the lovely, south facing rear garden.
Leavening is a flourishing Wolds village with a superb gastro pub and primary school. It lies close to Yorkshire’s food capital, Malton, and only a 25 minute drive from York, with a range of routes allowing rapid access at all times of day.
• Small cottage with a large garden
• Newly decorated in 2019 with a contemporary kitchen fitted some four years ago
• Original features throughout that add character: ledge & brace stripped cottage doors, original exposed brickwork, painted stone internal walls, wide-planked antique pine flooring, exposed ceiling timbers and lovely old fireplace lintel.
• Large kitchen/dining room with hand fitted kitchen that includes Shaker-style units granite worktops, double Butler sink, porcelain tile flooring and utility cupboard for washing machine and tumble drier
• Cast-iron wood burning stove in the sitting room with double doors opening to the garden room
• The garden room spans the width of the property, is fully double glazed and faces due south with double doors to the garden beyond
• Attractive bathroom with linen cupboard and bath with high pressure shower attachment
• Glorious principal bedroom with a vaulted, beamed ceiling and facing south over the garden – with hand painted fitted cupboards, wide planked pine floor and deep window seat
• Bedroom 2 overlooks hills and pastures, and has an office area with multiple sockets and wifi
• Good storage throughout with a boarded attic and custom-made storage cupboards
• 20 minutes’ drive to the York ring road and 10 minutes’ to Malton
The exceptional garden extends the width of the house and gradually broadens and rises to the far boundary beyond which lies open Wolds countryside. Midway is an elevated stone terrace sheltered by a rambling rose entwined in a pergola, the perfect sunny spot for al fresco dining. A venerable beech arches over a pathway that meanders through to the upper section. This garden is beautifully maintained under organic principles, screened by mature hedging and includes expanses of lawn, lavishly stocked flower beds, a pond, three raised vegetable beds, and a variety of trees including silver birch and ash. There is a timber shed, wood store and outside tap.
In all some ¼ acre
York 15 miles, Malton 5 miles, Malton railway station 10 minutes. (Distances and times approximate)
Leavening is a thriving and popular village in the Yorkshire Wolds, known as Hockney country, highly convenient for both Malton and York. Known for its strong sense of community, the village has a church, village hall, ‘Good’ primary school and hugely popular ‘Real Ale’ pub with a gastronomic reputation. The Yorkshire Post reported: “Conviviality cannot be bottled but if it could be, there would be several pints of the stuff hanging above the bar of the Jolly Farmers…”. School buses from the village go to Malton School and Norton College. Malton railway station can be reached by car in under 15 minutes and has a direct service to York and connection to London within a couple of hours.
Services: Amptec Electric Flow boiler, mains waters and electricity
Fixtures & fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as furniture, curtains, light fittings, the antique kitchen cupboard, stand alone appliances, bathroom cupboards, garden ornaments, etc, are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Local authority: Ryedale District Council 01653 600666. The property is not Listed.
Directions: From the crossroads in the village, take the main street heading north east signed Birdsall and Thixendale. Just before the road rises up and out of the village you will see Beck Lane on your right. Beck Cottage is the penultimate house on the right, as denoted by the For Sale board.
For more photos (March 2019) regarding this property visit blenkinandco.com
NB: Google map image is not current nor a true representation.