Landmark Arts & Crafts country house with lovely gardens and breath-taking view, in the glorious Howardian Hills
Leysthorpe Hall, Leysthorpe, Oswaldkirk, York, North Yorkshire YO62 5YD
Principal house: entrance hall, 4 reception rooms, kitchen breakfast room, utility room, pantry, boot room, cloakroom, shower room, master bedroom with en suite bathroom • 8 further bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, 1 bathroom, 5 loft rooms
Outbuildings: separate boiler house with offices above, garaging
Gardens and Land: terraced gardens, formal gardens, kitchen garden, 2 separate paddocks
In all some 5.2 acres
Guide price £1,950,000
Chauffeurs Lodge and outbuildings: The lodge and outbuildings are adjacent to the principal house and have separate access from the B1257, Leysthorpe Lane. Together, they are available by separate negotiation and clearly marked on the plan as “Lot 2”. In all 1.1 acres.
Guide price £250,000.
Freehold for sale
This is an imposing Arts & Crafts country house commanding an elevated position at the top of Caulkley’s Bank with exceptional far reaching views to the south. Recently renovated and refurbished, this imposing property offers extensive ground floor accommodation ideal for entertaining, and mature gardens and grounds of more than six acres.
• Large and versatile Edwardian house dating from 1927, commanding a fine position
• Over 9000 sq ft of accommodation
• Enjoys great privacy and far-reaching southerly views
• The whole house has been completely replumbed with a new hot water tank and booster sets. The vast majority of the house has been rewired, with only some bedrooms outstanding.
• Impressive reception hall and staircase hall with oak cantilevered staircase and herringbone floor
• Two large and elegant, south west facing reception rooms with bay windows
• Library/office with bespoke fitted furniture and French doors opening on to the sunny terrace
• Large and light, contemporary kitchen breakfast room with garden access and views
• High specification, contemporary and bespoke kitchen and bathroom fittings
• Master bedroom suite with wonderful views over the gardens and beyond
• The second floor of the main house could comfortably be converted into a self-contained studio flat
• Howardian Hills, a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
A gravel drive leads to two elegant, stone gateposts beyond which lies a large turning and parking area on the eastern elevation of the house. From here the grounds gently descend in terraces to reveal the enduring pastoral backdrop of grasslands, woodland and the rising hills of the Howardian Hills. The formal gardens have colourful herbaceous borders, sweeping lawns and many specimen trees and shrubs. There are two fenced paddocks.
Helmsley 4 miles, Easingwold 10 miles, Malton 12 miles, Thirsk 15 miles, A1(M) 19 miles, York 21 miles (distances approximate).
Leysthorpe is a hamlet that lies adjacent to the village of Oswaldkirk, surrounded by the countryside of the Howardian Hills on the southern edge of the North York Moors National Park. Although rural, Leysthorpe is well connected. The prosperous market towns of Helmsley, Easingwold and Malton are all within easy reach. Many facilities can be found at neighbouring Ampleforth including a doctors’ surgery, primary school and store, and nearby Hovingham has a primary school, store, bakery and thriving monthly market. From Thirsk railway station services run on the East Coast Main Line to York and beyond; from Malton the railway runs to Scarborough and York where it connects to the national network. Leeds Bradford is 50 miles away and Durham Tees Valley can be reached within an hour’s drive. There is an excellent choice of schooling in the surrounding area including an ‘Outstanding’ secondary school, prep school, Ampleforth College, and a number of private schools in York.
Services: Mains electricity and water, private drainage. Oil fired central heating.
Fixtures & fittings: All those items regarded as tenant’s fixtures and fittings, together with the fitted carpets, curtains and light fittings, are specifically excluded from the sale. However, certain items may be available by separate negotiation.
Local authority: Ryedale District Council. Tel: 01653 600666. Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
Directions: The Hall lies on the main road between Oswaldkirk and Stonegrave, on the southern side. It can be found behind the high timber gates and a boundary wall.
Photographs and particulars: April/May 2019
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.