A charming country cottage in the heart of the Howardian Hills with annexe, large double garage and landscaped gardens.
Entrance and reception hall, sitting room, dining room, kitchen breakfast room, pantry, laundry room, study, conservatory, shower room/wc
Master bedroom with en-suite shower room, 2 further double bedrooms, house bathroom
Large double garage with workshop, annexe, parking for 4 cars, gardens
Oak Cottage, School Lane, Bulmer, York, North Yorkshire YO60 7BA
Originally constructed some 200 years ago, this picturesque property enjoys a timeless setting on the edge of Bulmer’s village green, which is presided over by an eminent oak tree. The current owners have maintained the house beautifully over their sixteen years of tenure, regarding themselves as custodians of a beautiful historic village house. Oak Cottage is a much loved family home, well designed with an abundance of character and individual flourishes.
• Detached house of 2176 sq. ft in a well sized plot
• Period features include substantial stone walls and sills, flagstones, exposed beams, fireplace
• Exquisite oak flooring, high quality hardwood internal doors of oak and mahogany
• Traditional cottage casement windows, mostly double glazed with guarantee
• Large fitted kitchen breakfast room with electric 4-oven Aga, double butler sink and exposed brickwork. Alongside is a traditional pantry with cold slab, and a laundry room
• 24 ft sitting room with recently installed woodburner and windows facing the village green, hand-crewelled embroidery curtains
• Cedar conservatory with double doors giving access to the garden
• Large master bedroom with rural views, fitted wardrobes and en-suite shower room with marble-topped vanity
• Vintage sanitaryware
• Loft space is boarded, carpeted and decorated – potential for development
• Annexe would make a superb Airbnb, guest accommodation or home office
• Direct fibre broadband connection to the premises with the potential for 300mbs service
• A fabulous location in the heart of the Howardian Hills with many local footpaths on the doorstep
Double gates open to the gravelled drive with large parking and turning area, bounded by stone walls with raised beds, behind which lies the principal area of lawn. The double garage has steel rolling doors, power and light, plus a well fitted workshop to the rear. The south east facing annexe has double timber doors, window, power and light, and shower room. The garden itself is predominantly laid to lawn and is well screened with a high mixed hedge. There is a variety of dwarf trees, productive vegetable beds, wildflower boarder, copper beech hedge on the eastern boundary and a garden gate to the front.
York 16 miles, Malton 7 miles, Vangarde/John Lewis 20 minutes. (Distances and times approximate)
Bulmer stands high in the rolling countryside of the Howardian Hills, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty north of York, within easy reach of the A64. Formerly an estate village of nearby Castle Howard, Bulmer has retained its integrity and stunning identity, with stone built houses under red tiled roofs looking across a broad village street. The village is steeped in history; Bulmer was mentioned in the Doomesday Book of 1086 and the pretty 11th century church still stands at the heart of the village. A primary school, store and pub can be found in neighbouring Welburn. The local market town of Malton – ‘Yorkshire’s food capital’ – is six miles north and the retail outlets at Vangarde, Monks Cross and Clifton Moor lie conveniently on the north side of York. York railway station offers a regular service to London Kings Cross in a best scheduled time of 1hr 45mins. The Yorkshire Coast and North York Moors are but a 40 mins drive.
Mains electricity, drainage. Storage heaters. NB The current owners have investigated the installation of new technologies for which there is ample space, subject to the normal permissions.
Fixtures & Fittings:
Items mentioned in these particulars are included. Others may be made available separately
Ryedale District Council. Conservation area.
Directions: Heading into the village from Castle Howard the property can be found at the beginning of the village on the right hand side facing the green, just past the Bulmer village sign.
Photographs and particulars: September 2019
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.