One of a kind, a period barn conversion in a perennially popular village.
2 reception rooms, kitchen/dining room, shower room/wc
3 bedrooms, shower room, house bathroom, study
Ivy Barn, South Lane, Thornton le Dale, Pickering YO18 7QU
Renovated in 1996 from a large stone barn with a provenance believed to date back to 1502, the character of the original building has been sympathetically preserved. This splendid and very individual house is immaculately presented throughout, and displays many signs of fine craftsmanship. Although there is no garden, there is a sunny and sheltered sitting out area on the western elevation.
• Well planned and versatile accommodation of 2010 sq ft
• Good room sizes
• Westerly orientation with wonderful rooftop views to the hills beyond from the first floor
• Full of period character, with original architectural features abounding such as exposed beams, York flagstones, deep stone sills, window seats, Inglenook fireplace, cottage doors and exposed stonework
• Not listed - double glazed throughout
• Modern cast iron radiators and Kirkdale gas-fired stove (installed 2016) in the sitting room
• The 17ft kitchen dining room has granite worktops, a ceramic sink and Rangemaster
• Spacious first floor landing with bespoke internal doors tailored to retain the integrity of the original exposed beams
• Large master bedroom with great westerly views to the Moors
• The study above the garage is a large room that would also make a superb dressing room to the master bedroom, or a gym.
• Double integral garage with stable doors, secure locks, alarm, power and light
• Peaceful corner of the village but within walking distance of a wide range of amenities
• Suitable for downsizers: generous room sizes allow for large furniture; there is a ground floor bathroom (and potentially a downstairs bedroom); and no garden maintenance
• Would make a superb holiday cottage
We understand that the gravelled courtyard and detached garage in front of Ivy Barn belongs to the owners of Ivy House, a property concealed behind high gates at the far end of the courtyard. The near half of the courtyard abutting Ivy Barn (lengthways) is for Ivy Barn owners’ exclusive use with full legal pedestrian and vehicular rights. The far half of the courtyard (lengthways) is for Ivy House owners’ use providing access to their garage as well as additional parking for two cars.
Malton 8 miles, Pickering 2 miles, York 26 miles, Leeds 53 miles. (Distances approximate)
Ivy Barn is located at the edge of one of North Yorkshire’s most picturesque National Park villages, some 15 minutes’ walk from the centre where there are a number of independent shops and eateries, including two public houses and a bistro. On the doorstep is Dalby Forest and some of the most beautiful countryside in the area, with endless opportunity for outdoor recreation. The A170 passes through Thornton le Dale connecting Thirsk to Scarborough and, some seven miles south of the village, the A64 provides links to the A1M and the major conurbations of Yorkshire. Malton Railway Station has regular services to the mainline station at York with direct connections to London, Leeds, Newcastle and Edinburgh.
Services: Mains water, gas, electricity and drainage. Worcester-Bosch Combi boiler dates from 2014.
Fixtures & fittings: Items mentioned in these particulars are included. Others may be made available separately
Local authority: Ryedale District Council 01653 600666
Directions: on the A170 heading to Scarborough, turn right on Rectory Lane just after the church. At the junction turn left on to South Lane. Ivy Barn is on the left hand side towards the end of the village.
Photographs and particulars: July 2019
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.