An impressive house of great character with paddock and views, close to Malton in the Howardian Hills.
Entrance and staircase halls, sitting room, study, cloakrooms/wc, kitchen dining room and family room, utility room, gym, games room, cinema
Master bedroom with 2 dressing rooms and en suite bathroom, 4 further bedrooms, 3 bathrooms (1 Jack and Jill bathroom)
Double garage, parking, gardens, outbuildings, paddock
In all 1.3 acres
Field View Barn, 27 West Street, Swinton, Malton, North Yorkshire YO17 6SP
This is a house that exceeds all expectation. It sits discreetly at the end of a private drive and only upon crossing the threshold are its magnitude and splendour fully revealed. Built in 2009, Field View Barn was hugely extended and improved in 2015 by the current owners, and revels in an abundance of built-in character. From the rear it enjoys great privacy, facing west over open pastures with views beyond of the Howardian Hills and North York Moors.
• Detached house of over 5000 sq ft built of stone under a pantile roof
• Lots of character – aged timber ceiling beams, bespoke woodwork, vaulted roof trusses, exposed bricks
• High specification – underfloor heating below engineered oak flooring, bespoke woodwork, vaulted ceilings, Rako lighting system, Utopia and Duravit bathroom fittings, app controlled ceiling Sonos speakers in the kitchen, family room and games room
• Fully fitted, handmade Shaker kitchen units with granite work surfaces, Butler sink and family-sized kitchen island breakfast bar. Miele dishwasher and microwave, Neff fridge freezer and wine cooler, Kohler sink, range cooker, coffee machine and plate warmer
• The magnificent 50ft ground floor space that encompasses the kitchen, dining room and family room is glazed to full height on the western elevation and French doors open on to the garden terrace
• Superb 30 ft games room with vaulted ceiling, floor-to-ceiling windows across the western elevation and French doors opening onto the garden beyond
• Impressive cinema room with theatre room seating
• Sitting room of elegant proportions with a wood burning stove housed in an inglenook fireplace and floor-to-ceiling windows facing the private courtyard garden
• All bedrooms are individually designed, two with mezzanine levels skilfully providing additional space. All have access to an en suite bathroom.
• The master bedroom is a magnificent space that wholly benefits from the double height glass elevation and enjoys far-reaching views to the distant hills. There is an en suite bathroom and two separate dressing areas, both with fully fitted hanging wardrobes. A mezzanine level provides additional space.
• Private setting, discreet yet in the heart of the village
• Family house with plenty of storage, ideal for entertaining all year round
• Wonderful gardens, westerly views and paddock
A private gravelled drive approaches the front of the house and detached double garage, providing secure parking for numerous vehicles. The lovely gardens lie to the rear of the house and extend to one third of an acre. Accessed from multiple rooms are two stone flagged terraces of circular design with low stone walls that provide year-round seating and a raised, well stocked pond alongside. The lawned gardens lie beyond, the contemporary design of the terraces being mirrored by their landscaping. The whole is designed to soak in the great open views to south and west. There are shrubs, mature trees, a small orchard and herbaceous borders – and all is well screened from neighbours. A sunny courtyard garden lies on the southern elevation accessed from the kitchen and sitting room.
Beyond the formal garden, accessed through a five bar gate, lies a grass pony paddock of approximately one acre, with outbuildings. This paddock has separate access from Cherry Avenue.
Malton 2 miles, Helmsley 14 miles, York 18 miles, A1M 35 miles (distances approximate).
Swinton lies north west of Malton just a mile from ‘Yorkshire’s food capital’. The village itself has a family run pub, The Smithy Arms and a sports centre and field. A fine, Georgian market town, Malton’s reputation has soared in recent years; it has a wide range of amenities including excellent independent shops and cafes, very good schooling and a sports centre. Its artisan food producers and Food Lovers Festival have brought the town national acclaim. A railway station offers direct links to Scarborough and the mainline station at York – and on to Leeds, London, Liverpool and Manchester Airport. By car, the York ring road and John Lewis can be reached within half an hour and Leeds within an hour. There is a good choice of independent prep schools in Terrington and Ampleforth and York private schools are within easy reach..
Services: Mains water, electricity and drainage. LPG for the cooker. Oil-fired central heating.
Fixtures & fittings: Items mentioned in these particulars are included. Others may be made available separately
Local authority: Ryedale District Council 01653 600666
Directions: Head in to the village from Malton taking second right onto West Street, down the hill turning left up the private driveway to the side of Jesmond Cottage.
Photographs and particulars: July 2019
NB: Google map images may neither be current nor a true representation.