Delightful Edwardian house with garage, outbuildings and lovely gardens in a very accessible position close to York
Entrance and staircase hall, kitchen breakfast room, utility room, 3 reception rooms, study, snug, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms (1 en suite), attic room
Outbuildings, garage, gardens, orchard
In all some half an acre
East Wing, Claxton House, Claxton, York YO60 7SD
This fine, Dutch-gabled house was built in 1912 for the agent of the Sand Hutton Estate. Some thirty years ago it was divided into two large homes with the East Wing having the lovely coach house and adjoining outbuildings. Although now in need of some updating, this much-loved family home has the space, outlook, versatility and setting to offer a compelling opportunity to any prospective purchaser, coming on to the market as it does for the first time in a generation
• Large, semi-detached house – 3324 sq ft arranged over three floors
• Ideal southerly orientation overlooking the lovely gardens and open countryside beyond
• Period features include original Rosemary clay tiles on the roof, cast iron guttering, casement windows, original Dove & Sons kitchen range, elegant room proportions, open fireplaces on two floors
• The 26 ft fitted country kitchen is vaulted with exposed ceiling joists, a breakfast area and utility room adjacent
• Separate dining room
• Wonderful sitting room and adjoining garden room combine to make a 36ft entertaining space full of natural light with a southerly aspect and garden access
• Snug with working kitchen range and door to garden terrace
• Large attic room on the top floor which, with updating, would make an ideal play room, teen room, hobby room or additional bedroom accommodation; there are bookshelves, storage, three west facing roof lights and a porthole window giving glorious views to the south.
• Potential for development of the house, coach house and outbuildings
• Convenient for easy and rapid access across the county and beyond, superb for business commuters
The house is approached from the village road via a shared gravel drive alongside a belt of mature woodland. There is ample private parking for six cars immediately to the rear of the house. The drive continues to the former coach house/garage overlooking the private, paved courtyard which gives access to the main entrance of the house. Now serving as a double garage with inspection pit, the coach house also offers potential for further development (subject to the usual consents) having ample height for creating a studio flat over. The outbuildings comprise three useful stores, currently utilised as a garden store, freezer room/pantry and a fuel store.
The lovely, rear gardens are predominantly lawned with flower and shrub borders, and lie to the south of the house enjoying a fine outlook across open countryside. There is a large paved terrace, raised bed, small pond with water feature, pergola with climbing roses, and a gravel path that sweeps round to the far eastern boundary of the property where there is an apple orchard. All is enclosed by post and rail fencing, mature hedging and trees.
A64 2 miles, York 8 miles, Malton 10 miles, A1M 23 miles, Leeds 36 miles, Leeds Bradford Airport 41 miles. (Distances approximate)
Claxton is a quiet rural village located just north east of the historic city of York, from where there are rapid and regular trains to London. Together with the neighbouring village of Sand Hutton with its primary school, church and village green, Claxton offers easy access to the A64 for commuting to Leeds, the connurbations of west and south Yorkshire and beyond. The surrounding countryside is glorious, with the Yorkshire Wolds to the east and the Howardian Hills to the north.
Services: Mains water, electricity and drainage. Oil fired central heating.
Fixtures & fittings: Items mentioned in these particulars are included. Others may be made available separately
Local authority: Ryedale District Council 01653 600666
Directions: From York, take the A64 towards Scarborough, and turn right at the Fera Science site towards Sand Hutton. Drive through Sand Hutton to Claxton. Upon entering the village from the south, take the first left hand driveway through white timber gates and drive past The Stables. East Wing is the first part of Claxton House on your left hand side.